Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

attendance rewards

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 62 Replies

do your kids' schools have them?

we got a recorded call from the principal tonight. local businesses are partnering with the school to offer prizes for students who are in perfect attendance over the next 2 weeks. hard thing to do for many, during flu season. they also were offering pizza parties to the classrooms with the best attendance in the school over the next 2 weeks.

the principal then went on to talk about how important it is that kids go to school every day they are able. etc etc. it stinks that attendance is such that she feels that she needs to say that to all of the parents.

anyway, i feel bad for the kids who get sick and miss out on the rewards. it's a nice idea by the school though.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this
At the end of the year, kids who miss two days or less of school get entered to win a new bike.

My oldest won one last year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
No they don't. I honestly don't think it is s good idea either. We should be encouraging people to stay home when sick to avoid spreading germs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Not that i am aware of.  DD's classroom has a bead system for rewards at end of week and rewards can be from an extra recess to a pizza/cupcake party to everyone gets to pick out a prize.   We also do the labels for education and box tops.  Each month whomever turns in the most gets to be the home of their mascot.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I can understand doing something like this for a school district that has truency issues in small children.  Teens couldn't care less.

But you are right,  in a normal school district, this time of year makes no sense :/.  I've had to take Caden out more than several times because of illness :/.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:17 AM
4 moms liked this
I hate the practice...

1) it encourages parents to send sick kids to school, or the kids to lie and say they feel fine to get the prize. There are already enough parents who send sick kids to school because they can't/won't take off work

2) it punishes kids who are honestly sick and stay home in bed to recover.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM

The only time our school stresses attendance is at testing time. Other than that, the kids w/ perfect attendance get a certificate at the end of the school yr, that's it.

I can why the incentives are being offered, but I wonder how parents are now going to send their kid to school sick just so they won't feel left out when others get a pizza party. . .  I know that's not what your principal has in mind, but I can see it happening.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:50 AM
7 moms liked this

I don't have a problem with attendance awards.  All you have to do is read the thread on "mental health days" to understand WHY a school needs to make attendance a priority.  The fact is too many parents, as demonstrated by that thread, do NOT think attendance is important and are sending that same message to their kids at a very young age.  SMH

mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Kids with perfect attendance each quarter (they do it by quarter which I find more realistic than the whole year) get a certificate and get recognized at the awards ceremony that they hold for Honor Roll.

The only issue I take with making a big hairy deal over perfect attendance (and with the school's attendance policy here in general) is that they are really encouraging sending sick kids to school. It's a military(meaning on a base, not a military as in my kid was bad) school, if my kid misses more than 5 days excused or not, they call the sponsor's command. 10 days they call the command, have a parent meeting, and threaten you with CPS. Excused or not. Because of doctor's appts (ALL excused) my oldest has missed 10 days this year. She can't miss a single other day. So if she gets pink eye, she's going to school and I'll instruct her to mess with her eyes and touch everything. Until something like that happens and the whole school gets pink eye, or the flu, they won't change their idiotic policy. IMO they should only be worrying about UNexcused absences, or bullshit absences (vacation for instance). Calling commands over excused absences totally wastes time. Plus this would NEVER happen at a civilian school, they would never call someone's boss over absences. Oh and it gets better. Your kid is tardy? Even by 2 minutes? 1/4 of an absence, they get sent home sick by the nurse? Counts as an absence. It's absurd.

Sorry for the tangent/tirade, this is pissing me off this week. I'm going to have a hissy fit at the next school board meeting.

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Yes, but my son has never received one.

mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Maybe all schools need to adopt the BS policy the schools my kids go to have...people would never take a mental health day again.

Quoting mjande4:

I don't have a problem with attendance awards.  All you have to do is read the thread on "mental health days" to understand WHY a school needs to make attendance a priority.  The fact is too many parents, as demonstrated by that thread, do NOT think attendance is important and are sending that same message to their kids at a very young age.  SMH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN