Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

do your kids' schools have them?

we got a recorded call from the principal tonight. local businesses are partnering with the school to offer prizes for students who are in perfect attendance over the next 2 weeks. hard thing to do for many, during flu season. they also were offering pizza parties to the classrooms with the best attendance in the school over the next 2 weeks.

the principal then went on to talk about how important it is that kids go to school every day they are able. etc etc. it stinks that attendance is such that she feels that she needs to say that to all of the parents.

anyway, i feel bad for the kids who get sick and miss out on the rewards. it's a nice idea by the school though.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Replies (21-30):
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM
My kids' school gives certificates out every quarter. It encourages the kids to discern between being sick and pretending to be sick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Our schools do it by quarter and then at the end of the year. Each quarter they get a certificate at an award ceremony for middle and high school they get to go on a special trip could be movies, action city, the skate park or what not. They go with anyone that got an award which could be for good grades, good behavior, or being a good citizen.
At the end of the year the get a certificates, a trophy, and lunch with the principle.
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I think that rewarding attendance is counter-intuitive because it encourages kids/families to attend when sick putting other students and families at risk.  

I think recognizing good behavior / citizenship / pillars of character would be more valuable to the overall environment of the school

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM

My school does.  My son has gotten a certificate for perfect attendance (for the quarter) in the past.

I used to get perfect attendance awards when I was in school.  It was a great morale booster for me.  I never did great academically so didn't get those awards.  I wasn't involved in sports or anything like that.  Attendance was the one thing that I could say "hey, I can do this".  It may not seem like much - you showed up, whoopie - but to me it meant a lot.  I think it helps instill in kids how important attendance is.  I mean, you can't learn if you don't even show up in the first place.

speidelboys
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I know alot of ppl who let there kids miss school for stupid reasons like my sons bf- had a tooth that fell out on a friday and stayed home the following week "because her gum needed to heal.. if my kids dont feel well i ask them so far they havent missed a day of school but i have to cheak my oldest for a feaver everymoring right mow because he looks like he is getting sick but is insisting he is fine

DropZoneMom
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM

GIving attendance rewards is ridiculous -- it encourages kids to come to school when they're sick (which is part of the reason the flu has reached epidemic proportions this year).   There are also hyper-competitive parents who will insist their sick children go to school, just so they can receive this "award".   Absolute STUPIDITY.

Babujai
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM
There are certificates given every quarter to perfect attendance and missing only one day...beyond that there are no prizes or hoopla. I wouldn't let a "prize" keep me from keeping home a sick child though.
mom23heathens
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I was thinking about this too. I really don't think there should be so much emphasis on "perfect attendance" . Adults are allowed so many "sick days" at work. Why not the kiddos? A reasonable amount of days should be acceptable since we don't want to encourage competitive kids to go to school sick because they want that reward or prize. At the very least don't count missed days with a dr. note?

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I don't mind attendance rewards at all. As a teacher I see so many kids miss for BS reasons. I have a student who will be on vacation February 1 -8. :/ She STRUGGLES big time, and will now miss a TON of instruction. ugh!

kanakake
by New Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM

At dd's school, if you have perfect attendance for the whole month then the last Friday of that month you are allowed to wear regular clothes ( they wear uniforms). I think it's a good idea. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)