Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

do your kids' schools have them?

we got a recorded call from the principal tonight. local businesses are partnering with the school to offer prizes for students who are in perfect attendance over the next 2 weeks. hard thing to do for many, during flu season. they also were offering pizza parties to the classrooms with the best attendance in the school over the next 2 weeks.

the principal then went on to talk about how important it is that kids go to school every day they are able. etc etc. it stinks that attendance is such that she feels that she needs to say that to all of the parents.

anyway, i feel bad for the kids who get sick and miss out on the rewards. it's a nice idea by the school though.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Replies (31-40):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM

But school is sooooo stressful! <insert sarcasm>  This topic makes my blood boil.

Quoting KairisMama:

I don't mind attendance rewards at all. As a teacher I see so many kids miss for BS reasons. I have a student who will be on vacation February 1 -8. :/ She STRUGGLES big time, and will now miss a TON of instruction. ugh!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM

To be honest, I have no idea. If they do have attendance awards, it would just be something like a certificate. They've never done a party based on attendance.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM
LOL...that is the worst excuse Iveever heard! LOL

If you are going to skip, don't lie about it! Jus say, "we took a day off."

Quoting speidelboys:

I know alot of ppl who let there kids miss school for stupid reasons like my sons bf- had a tooth that fell out on a friday and stayed home the following week "because her gum needed to heal.. if my kids dont feel well i ask them so far they havent missed a day of school but i have to cheak my oldest for a feaver everymoring right mow because he looks like he is getting sick but is insisting he is fine

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrystalDawn2506
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM

They have awards but not rewards.

Maries_Mom23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Unfortunately, it's part of their 9 weeks awards ceremony.  And I don't agree with it.  It's pushing the kids to come, no matter what.  A girl who got the award the first nine weeks, came to school the last day before Christmas break.  She told her teacher she threw up at 5 that morning. The teacher called mom, who confirmed, she "threw up a few times last night."  They made her go home.  That night, my 9 year old dd (who sits beside her), woke up, throwing up for 6 hours.  Yeah, all for that mighty award.  Ugh...

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish that there was a way to encourage good, appropriate attendance rather than perfect attendance. 

Everyone misses a day or two a year. But far too many children miss much more school than they should. Some parents obviously do not understand the impact those missed days have on learning. Doing make up work doesn't really make up for the instruction lost when kids aren't at school. Especially if the class relies on hands and experiential learning (like mine) because there's little to send home for practice. 

I also think the kids working to get perfect attendance would have very good attendance even if the reward wasn't there. 

Unfortunately, my experience tells me we need to focus more on negative consequences for the parents of students who frequently miss school without valid excuses. 

LavenderMom23
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM

This policy actually seems cruel to me. Since I am around chronically ill people in my private life: friends, family, etc. It seems to me that any kids that has regular absenses for medical reasons would unjustly be punished for missing. 

Steph_G.
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I  think this is the key point. If you are someone who doesn't think attendance is important and really want to miss school is a certificate at the end of the year really going to change your mind on the matter. Maybe the pizza party and such, but even so I think those incentives get directed at the wrong people. I was a very competitive over acheiving child and perfect attendance was one of the awards I struggled the most with. I hated the idea of having to miss a day of school and not get that award and as such I probably went to school at times that I shouldn't have. I think if you are going to do it then there should be a way to get excused absences that don't count against your perfect attendance so that you can weed out the kids who just don't think it's important and the kids that are better off being at home because they are legitimately ill.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I also think the kids working to get perfect attendance would have very good attendance even if the reward wasn't there.  

sheellyyo
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM

My daughter will never have perfect attendance, due to having surgeries every 12 wks.  I was reading the names of perfect attendance studance for last semester and it made my heart drop to think her name will never be on there.  We have doctors notes for all days missed. 

Our school gives out certificates at the end of the school year for perfect attendance.  Thats it.  I think that all needs to be done. 

dlock25
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM
See our school allows 3 tardies for the perfect attendance at the end of the year. My daughter had it last year and is on track for it this year.

Quoting kcgroves:

Our school is so overboard on it!! They only do perfect attendance at the end of the year and that must include never being late to class or getting picked up early for doc or dentist appt. They do a big thing with a limo ride and pizza party and all kinds of stuff! I feel like a whole year of perfect attendance is just so out of the question! I mean even if we manage to go a whole year without getting even one sick day the fact remains that the dentist office will not schedule certain appt. for after 2pm so if one of the kids has to have a cavity filled then it has to be done before 2 pm and that means leaving school early! I would like to see them do it for maybe a month or something like that...that seems more reasonable to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)