Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

do your kids' schools have them?

we got a recorded call from the principal tonight. local businesses are partnering with the school to offer prizes for students who are in perfect attendance over the next 2 weeks. hard thing to do for many, during flu season. they also were offering pizza parties to the classrooms with the best attendance in the school over the next 2 weeks.

the principal then went on to talk about how important it is that kids go to school every day they are able. etc etc. it stinks that attendance is such that she feels that she needs to say that to all of the parents.

anyway, i feel bad for the kids who get sick and miss out on the rewards. it's a nice idea by the school though.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM
They get a popcorn party every 6 weeks they have perfect attendance I'm hoping the next 6 weeks dd will get it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I am one for Mental Health days. My kids stayed ahead of the others and were usually the unpaid teachers aid. It was hard on them. With the way they are dumbing down public schools, I see no real reason to be there daily. My grown kids are all very successful. 1 graduated from A & M and teaches high school math. I have 2 in college (welding engineering and pre-med), 1 just started the Navy Seal program, 1 is a security guard and locksmith. The youngest is only 2.5yo so no career there yet! lol

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Maybe all schools need to adopt the BS policy the schools my kids go to have...people would never take a mental health day again.

Quoting mjande4:

I don't have a problem with attendance awards.  All you have to do is read the thread on "mental health days" to understand WHY a school needs to make attendance a priority.  The fact is too many parents, as demonstrated by that thread, do NOT think attendance is important and are sending that same message to their kids at a very young age.  SMH

1234abcd4321
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM

that is so frustrating. good luck getting her back up to speed this spring..

from the way the principal was talking, it seemed like BS reasons made up a majority of the absense excuses. so maybe an attendance reward in our school will do more harm than good..

Quoting KairisMama:

I don't mind attendance rewards at all. As a teacher I see so many kids miss for BS reasons. I have a student who will be on vacation February 1 -8. :/ She STRUGGLES big time, and will now miss a TON of instruction. ugh!

1234abcd4321
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM

dumbing down public schools? that is exactly the oppposite of what is going on in our country right now! sorry, this offends me, as i am studying to be a teacher and learning first hand about the dramatic increase in expectations for both kids and teachers. it's a good thing for sure though.

glad to hear that your kids have gone so far academically.. i hope to be able to say that someday too.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

I am one for Mental Health days. My kids stayed ahead of the others and were usually the unpaid teachers aid. It was hard on them. With the way they are dumbing down public schools, I see no real reason to be there daily. My grown kids are all very successful. 1 graduated from A & M and teaches high school math. I have 2 in college (welding engineering and pre-med), 1 just started the Navy Seal program, 1 is a security guard and locksmith. The youngest is only 2.5yo so no career there yet! lol

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Maybe all schools need to adopt the BS policy the schools my kids go to have...people would never take a mental health day again.

Quoting mjande4:

I don't have a problem with attendance awards.  All you have to do is read the thread on "mental health days" to understand WHY a school needs to make attendance a priority.  The fact is too many parents, as demonstrated by that thread, do NOT think attendance is important and are sending that same message to their kids at a very young age.  SMH

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Yes. The attendance awards are given at the end of the year.

HollyBoBolly
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM

My son gets a certificate each quarter and then another one at the end of the year. That is all.  He doesn't miss school unless he is truly ill. Luckily, he only gotten sick on the weekends. 

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I hope you as a teacher will trust your own instincts with the children and not allow your college education rob you of them. My daughter has taught HS Math for 6 years and is already frustrated and ready to get out of the classroom. She had over half SpEd most years. She is tiring of teaching the kids to pass the state-mandated testing. The kids are failing at alarming rates. She also is planning on homeschooling her 2 sons when the oldest hits 4th grade.

If you can get copies of some of the textbooks that were used before the 1970's you will see what our education system used to be. I find them frequently at resale stores. I do realize that there was a lot of ignorance on the racial and other interpersonal activities. Let's ignore that for this conversation.  Take a look at the expectations in the 3 R's. The way people vote shows me they have no grasp on History or Government. My dad quit school in 10th grade. Looking at the texts from his era I found that he had the equivalent of about 1 year of college. I wish I had some current public school texts in front of me to compare so I can make more educated statements. I do know there are kids, not SpEd, that are illiterate upon graduation.  

Thank you, I am very pleased and proud that my kids are doing well (because or in spite of me.....lol)  Your kids will follow your example and they will do great things too. Even with all my criticisms, I think Teachers are very important and deserve a lot more than they receive.

Keep your expectations high!!!

Quoting 1234abcd4321:

dumbing down public schools? that is exactly the oppposite of what is going on in our country right now! sorry, this offends me, as i am studying to be a teacher and learning first hand about the dramatic increase in expectations for both kids and teachers. it's a good thing for sure though.

glad to hear that your kids have gone so far academically.. i hope to be able to say that someday too.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting mjande4:

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM

LAUSD started a program where kids could be entered into a raffle for a car if they have good attendance.  The school I teach at is starting something similar in terms of a rafffle (but not for a car).  A lot of high schools have poor attendance and then they don't get their "Average Daily Attendance" money from the government which they need to operate the school.  Some schools actually owe money back to the government at the end of the year if they were advanced the money but the actual attendance didn't meet the expected attendance.  I don't think like the attendance awards for the lower grades though because little kids have to do what their parents tell them to do. They aren't ditching school like the high school kids.

MommaTasha1003
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM

DD's Kinder class has had 1 party for best attendance this year.. She has got a "CiCi's Pizza Certificate" for her perfect attendance for the first 1-2mo of school..

I guess they just gave out more goodies for perfect attendance today because she was kinda bummed when she got in the car :( Poor girl. lol.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Yes, dumbing down!

Study all you want, have all the good intentions to be a great teacher but it is the system that is screwed up!

NCLB spent so many yearrs trying to keep everyone equal and making kids feel good that they DID dumb down the standards. It has taken 15 years for them to realise their mistake and now they have swung too far the other way! They are trying to force kids too fast too young!

I have been homeschooling two boys that I removed frompublic school for 6 years. My oldest wanted to go to public high school so I arranged it. Got him into. A great engineering and robotics program. When he went to register, for classes we wanted him to test out of Spanish. He is nearly fluent and Has studdied for FIVE YEARS.his counselor said, why bother? Why not take the easy A? I sat there dumbfounded! Same with Algebra...he studied it for 2 years and they refused tolet him even attempt to test into Geometry. "All freshmen take algebra...that's how it is." He went for 4 days and asked to return to the. Hybrid homeschool charter school we have been using that allows kids to work at THEIR pace.

All these ADD/ADHD diagnosis are bullshit! Oh, I totally believe kids can't focus, and can't sit still. I have two like that. The problem isn't a disorder, it is that they are ACTIVE LEARNERS who need a hands on approach.

They don't need to be given numbers and herded into a room with over 30 same~age kids and be told to sit down and shutup! They need hands on learning, the ability to explore life, and nurture a LOVE of learning.

Attendance. Rewards and truancy threats are the LEAST of the worries of the current. Educational model!

Quoting 1234abcd4321:

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting mjande4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)