Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

REALLY!!!! You can't compliment a stranger??

Posted by   + Show Post

I put my QOTD post yesterday and thought it would be nice to celebrate Compliment Day.....

6 replies by 6pm. REALLY??????

No one seems to have a problem giving strangers advice and telling them actually what they are doing wrong in their lives,  but ask them to be nice and give a compliment and everyone runs from the post like cockroaches when the lights turn on!

I find it baffling...

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Replies (161-170):
Cindy18
by Cruella on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM

"you" was meant as a general term not specifically you.

My point is that even though you don't know anyone well enough to compliment them, you do feel you can give advice and critism to a stranger. That's what I find so interesting.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I did post to that thread. I've been on this group for like a week, don't knoI w anyone well enough to be complimenting them on anything.

Quoting Cindy18:

And I asked you to give a random compliment. NOT to me to anyone in a group of hundreds.

IMO, it's the same thing. Just instead of being judgmental, I asked for something nice.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

They asked didn't they?

If you ask someone "what would you do?" you WANT advice on your personal life... so I'm not seeing the disctinction here.

I'm not supossed to respond to questions, but I am supposed to randomly come out and compliment people? That doesn't make sense.

Quoting Cindy18:

BUT, you will give an on-line stranger advice about their personal life.......

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I don't really know anyone on here, and I'm terrible at giving compliments online.

What would I say? Your screen name looks fantastic on you! So figure flattering.

I haven't been in this group too much lately, but I still recognize your avatar. So I know you've been pretty active lately.

What you would say is something like "your advice really helped me through that situation with my kid" or "I find so and so very supportive" or "I like that you tell it like it is" or "you have a great sense of humor." I compliment does not have to involve how someone looks or their physical features. I haven't met any of the moms in this group in real life either.

I'm TERRIBLE at complimenting, either I can't think of anything or I over do it and then I feel like I seem disingenuous. I don't have the right personality for it or something...

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM

The Snark Team?? Steel and me? LOVE IT!

At the point that I was 'snarking', I was just doing it for giggles. I'm very interested in seeing your numbers.

Quoting Larisa72:

I needed these last 7 or 8 pages to get a giggle this morning.  I think I will actually turn this into a spreadsheet to work all this out.

Thinking we'll have: apologies, attacks, questions, unrelated comments as my columns and will tally those and take results from that.

Right now, it's looking like there are several that didn't see the post, but the majority of responses seem to be negative attacks, which, while honestly not unexpected, doesn't seem logical in a post about compliments...the majority of negative comments that I've seen in recent posts (across the many groups that I'm in) tend to be on topics that are extremely polarizing - you are either a or b with no possible middle ground......hmmm, I'm actually trying to make this fun by imagining what this whole thread, and all those who have responded to it would be like if it was Survivor....I honestly think the snark team would be practically eliminated already due to infighting and backstabbing....they'd eliminate themselves......will post again once I've run numbers and such

soliderwife
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Sorry I didnt see it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Morrigan333
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I never read TQOD. I barelt have time to read anything on here. Infact, right now my ass is suppossed to be cleaning dd's room and the rest of the house but I can't seem to get my rear in gear.

Larisa72
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM

OK, I've gone through all the posts (what can I say, I'm bored and partially immobile with a back brace on right now), and have divided them up into the following headings: apologies, attacks or snark, questions, unrelated comments, and general (on topic) comments.

I didn't see the numbers I expected to see, and some posts had to be categorized into 2 different headings.  So, here we are...out of 164 comments (not including this one, which would fall into the "unrelated comments" column: apologies = 17, attacks or snark = 16, questions = 1 (and I didn't include the snarky comments in this, but questions about the post), unrelated comments = 64, and related or on topic comments = 66.

Quite honestly, being a member of the group, I sort of expected this, but in reading all of the posts, I was prepared for more snarky comments or attacks.  Now granted, I'm biased and have to keep in mind that we ALL read comments with our own emotions and interpretations, so this is strictly MY tabulation of everything.  It's not certified or verified by any accounting firm or agency, just something for me to do on a cold January day....but I enjoyed reading and everything, so thanks for the entertainment :-)

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

If you would like me to attack you to even out the numbers just say the word. 

I can break it up into as many replies as you'd like. 

;)

Quoting Larisa72:

OK, I've gone through all the posts (what can I say, I'm bored and partially immobile with a back brace on right now), and have divided them up into the following headings: apologies, attacks or snark, questions, unrelated comments, and general (on topic) comments.

I didn't see the numbers I expected to see, and some posts had to be categorized into 2 different headings.  So, here we are...out of 164 comments (not including this one, which would fall into the "unrelated comments" column: apologies = 17, attacks or snark = 16, questions = 1 (and I didn't include the snarky comments in this, but questions about the post), unrelated comments = 64, and related or on topic comments = 66.

Quite honestly, being a member of the group, I sort of expected this, but in reading all of the posts, I was prepared for more snarky comments or attacks.  Now granted, I'm biased and have to keep in mind that we ALL read comments with our own emotions and interpretations, so this is strictly MY tabulation of everything.  It's not certified or verified by any accounting firm or agency, just something for me to do on a cold January day....but I enjoyed reading and everything, so thanks for the entertainment :-)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM

LOL  - My kids keep saying, "The girls must be really funny today!"

Cuz I keep reading these posts and giggling...

Bring on the Snark team! I'm SO JEALOUS of the cool name!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Love it!  I could be the "accounting firm" to verify your results if you'd like.  LMAO

I have to say that I really did have a blast last night with this post.  The most fun that I've had in a long time online, now how sad is that?

Quoting Larisa72:

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Hey!  Watch it or else I'll beat you with a lead pipe in the conservatory.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM
2 moms liked this

NO WAY! I'll block it with a karate kick, STEEL it and use it on you!!

devil

Quoting steelcrazy:

Hey!  Watch it or else I'll beat you with a lead pipe in the conservatory.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN