Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This is an obvious spin off from the post about attendance awards. 

I already said in that post I don't think they really encourage the kids with poor attendance to come to school more so they don't really help attendance problems. 

But as I read through the thread I was struck by how many moms thought it was unfair or even cruel for some kids to be given this award since their own child wouldn't be getting it. 

But isn't that true for any award? What would the point be of award if everyone got it?

Should we stop giving sports awards because the less coordinated kids will be sad they didn't get it? Is an art award unfair to the students who don't draw well?

The bigger question is really why are kids upset if their classmates get something they don't? Not receiving an award isn't a punishment. But somehow it seems to be interpreted that way but students and parents. Of course a young child may feel a little disappointment when he or she sees a classmate get to take home a certificate or trophy. But as parents isn't it our job to teach them they should be happy for the other child and help them realize that everyone has different strengths?

One my struggling students is working to earn perfect attendance this year. He has his own alarm clock in his room and gets up and out to the bus 10 minutes early every day because he knows if he misses the bus he can't get to school. He earned perfect attendance last year and the trophy sits on a shelf in the middle of the living room. Anyone who comes over is shown the trophy the second they walk through the door. This award gave him something to be proud of.  He comes to school every day and watches his classmates out score him on every test and assignments. So when he got to walk up on that stage to get his trophy it was a huge accomplishment to him. 

So if you think it's so cruel your kid didn't get an award because they got sick a few times maybe you should consider just being happy for the kids that did get it. 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
ramonafrog
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I completely agree. No need to "make things fair" for those who don't deserve an award. My sister is the worst about this. If I take my kids somewhere as a special treat or buy them a little toy, or anything really, and my nephew is left out, it becomes a huge ordeal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jiffypop2207
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM
The only problem I had with attendance awards is that basically the school said showing up was worth more to them than actually doing we'll. If I made honor roll I got a bumper sticker. If I showed up the whole year I got a free fast food meal coupon a tshirt a sweatshirt and a ticket to valleyfair(an amusement park) I always though it should be the other way around
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Quoting jiffypop2207:

The only problem I had with attendance awards is that basically the school said showing up was worth more to them than actually doing we'll. If I made honor roll I got a bumper sticker. If I showed up the whole year I got a free fast food meal coupon a tshirt a sweatshirt and a ticket to valleyfair(an amusement park) I always though it should be the other way around

I can see that. 

Our school does similar rewards for both. But I do think honor roll is a bigger achievement. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Neither my kids nor I care about attendance awards (and neither kid missed any school last year so if our gave out awards for it, they would have gotten one).

The other post spcecifically mentioned a contest the school was having where the kids would win a pizza party for not being absent during a specific time period. I don't think that's a good idea as it will encourage kids to go to school sick...no one will want to be the kid who ruins it for the rest of the class.

If attendance is a problem like it seems to be in this post's example, yes, that boy deserves something for his initiative and responsibility. But if attendance isn't an issue then I don't see the point in rewarding kids for going to school everyday. JMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Neither my kids nor I care about attendance awards (and neither kid missed any school last year so if our gave out awards for it, they would have gotten one).

The other post spcecifically mentioned a contest the school was having where the kids would win a pizza party for not being absent during a specific time period. I don't think that's a good idea as it will encourage kids to go to school sick...no one will want to be the kid who ruins it for the rest of the class.

If attendance is a problem like it seems to be in this post's example, yes, that boy deserves something for his initiative and responsibility. But if attendance isn't an issue then I don't see the point in rewarding kids for going to school everyday. JMO.

I'm not sure what you mean "if attendance is a problem." Basically every school battles with attendance issues. Attendance and learning gains are very closely linked. So most schools try to do things to encourage kids to get to school. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM
If attendance is a problem...meaning if the kids (parents) don't think it's important to go to school everyday and the kids aren't going. I know that is not an issue at DD's school (don't know about DS's). The parents here are very involved...most kids are in families where going to college is not an option, it is expected so going to school 5 days a week and doing your best is the norm. Not sure I'm explaining it right but I know we don't have that problem here so it doesn't need to be rewarded.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I'm not sure what you mean "if attendance is a problem." Basically every school battles with attendance issues. Attendance and learning gains are very closely linked. So most schools try to do things to encourage kids to get to school. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have an issue with my child not getting one, but I think they're stupid. I'd rather a sick child stay home from school than struggle through a school day to be able to get an attendance reward.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM

That's awesome that your student works so hard to get to school every day!  I'm also guessing that since he works so hard to get there, he is also doing his best on his work - so while everyone may outscore him, he's working to the best of his ability.  What an absolutely wonderful character trait he is developing at an early age. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes further in life than some/many of the students currently getting better grades.

I haven't read the attendance awards post (guess I should now), but I do agree that awards aren't necessarily cruel.  Like you said, not everyone can get an award & kids need to learn to deal with it.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM
3 moms liked this

It's the entitlement generation.  I can NOT stand the "every one is a winner" mentality.  Life is NOT fair and it certainly isn't equal.  Kids need to learn from the get go that you must WORK hard to succeed and there are consequences if you do not.  Part of this is failing at things and picking yourself back up.  I have taught my kids to set goals and do what you need to do to reach them. Do the goals need to be adjusted from time to time?  Absolutely, but under no circumstances do I believe that they deserve an award for simply trying or breathing.  Ugh!  What a generation of wusses.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

My son works hard to go to school everyday, for the paper reward, b/c he knows he won't make the honor roll.  He needs a dentist appt & told me to make sure I make it for the middle of the day b/c he thinks if he misses the morning or afternoon, it'll count as a day off...so he wants it at lunchtime lol.  Everytime I think this kid doesn't care about school, he proves me wrong ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN