Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This is an obvious spin off from the post about attendance awards. 

I already said in that post I don't think they really encourage the kids with poor attendance to come to school more so they don't really help attendance problems. 

But as I read through the thread I was struck by how many moms thought it was unfair or even cruel for some kids to be given this award since their own child wouldn't be getting it. 

But isn't that true for any award? What would the point be of award if everyone got it?

Should we stop giving sports awards because the less coordinated kids will be sad they didn't get it? Is an art award unfair to the students who don't draw well?

The bigger question is really why are kids upset if their classmates get something they don't? Not receiving an award isn't a punishment. But somehow it seems to be interpreted that way but students and parents. Of course a young child may feel a little disappointment when he or she sees a classmate get to take home a certificate or trophy. But as parents isn't it our job to teach them they should be happy for the other child and help them realize that everyone has different strengths?

One my struggling students is working to earn perfect attendance this year. He has his own alarm clock in his room and gets up and out to the bus 10 minutes early every day because he knows if he misses the bus he can't get to school. He earned perfect attendance last year and the trophy sits on a shelf in the middle of the living room. Anyone who comes over is shown the trophy the second they walk through the door. This award gave him something to be proud of.  He comes to school every day and watches his classmates out score him on every test and assignments. So when he got to walk up on that stage to get his trophy it was a huge accomplishment to him. 

So if you think it's so cruel your kid didn't get an award because they got sick a few times maybe you should consider just being happy for the kids that did get it. 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (41-50):
Bethsunshine
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I think the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality is ridiculous.  In reality, that mentality means that no one wins.  In life there are winners and losers.  We aren't doing our kids any favors by perpetuating this mentality.

I have no issue with attendance awards.  Imagine what it will look like on job applications in the future if this kid has perfect attendance for 10 years straight.  As an employer, I'll pick that applicant over someone with a 4.0 GPA because I know they will be there.

Exactly, where is the motivation for working harder if you know everyone is going to get an award, even if they don't do a darn thing but show up? I missed the part where healthy competition is a bad thing. Kids need to learn how to challenge themselves and work hard, and not just do the bare minimum to get by.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I personally don't believe in rewarding for perfect attendance. I think it should be academic based only. Just beause your bottom is in the seat doesn't mean you are learning or working and if you have poor attendance and poor grades (not saying that about your kid) you do not deserve an award. I think ONLY academic achievements should be awarded and character awards.  Good character and good grades are for more important in my opinion that perfect attendance. 

ETA:  My kids are there when they can be and have gotten perfect attendance awards

Rbrown72707
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I agree.  And, no parent should be sending their kid to school sick just because they won't get perfect attendance.  That's just ridiculous!  And, as a parent, when my child is sick, they can't hide it from me.  I can tell they are sick.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

It's not the OP's child. She is a teacher and has a child struggling to get to school because his parents don't give a crap so this elementary school kid sets his own alarm and gets to the bus stop 10 minutes early just to go to school.

I think that deserves an award!! This kid is making it to school against all odds and is taking great pride in his school work and attendance when his parents don't care.

Quoting Thelmama:

I personally don't believe in rewarding for perfect attendance. I think it should be academic based only. Just beause your bottom is in the seat doesn't mean you are learning or working and if you have poor attendance and poor grades (not saying that about your kid) you do not deserve an award. I think ONLY academic achievements should be awarded and character awards.  Good character and good grades are for more important in my opinion that perfect attendance. 

ETA:  My kids are there when they can be and have gotten perfect attendance awards

AmyParent
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM
I don't think kids should get awards for something try have no control over...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Sure, it's a punishment IMO.

It's the same as discrimination based on disability. If there is NO POSSIBLE chance for them to get the award.

It's the same to me as having playground equipment that isn't up to ADA Act standards. It's torture to a child who has NO access to it and have to wonder why he is singled out. If it's a MEDICAL issue, they should be allowed to count  medically absent days, toward it if the work is caught up.

Quoting Cindy18:

Why is it a punishment to NOT get an award?

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I agree with you. Kids need to be rewarded for excelling and/or improving. We are not teaching our kids anything by just handing them an award. When ds was in kindergarten he was reading at a first and second grade level. Ds never got a reading award and he couldn't understand why. How do you explain to a 5 year old that he is the best reader but they're trying to encourage other kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

There is no possible chance for a child with a 75 IQ to get an academic achievement award. 

There is no possible chance for a very uncoordinated child with severe asthma to get an athletic award. 

There is no chance for a profoundly deaf child to get a chorus award. 

There is always going to be someone that can't do any given activity with a high degree of success. Should we really stop awarding excellence because everyone can't always be excellent?

And ADA standards don't prohibit playground equipment that everyone can't access. It just says there has to be some equipment children with various disabilities can use. Playgrounds still have slides you need to climb up and monkey bars that kids in wheel chairs can't use. That doesn't mean kids who can't climb up them are being tortured. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

It's the same as discrimination based on disability. If there is NO POSSIBLE chance for them to get the award.

It's the same to me as having playground equipment that isn't up to ADA Act standards. It's torture to a child who has NO access to it and have to wonder why he is singled out. If it's a MEDICAL issue, they should be allowed to count  medically absent days, toward it if the work is caught up.

Quoting Cindy18:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. 

I get what you are saying, and I agree to awards in general even if it's not possible for everyone to attain it.

I just HATE Attendance awards with a passion. I get the importance of a good education, but missing a day or two here and there isn't the end of the world.  I would be more for an award where you recognise those that have IMPORVED their attendance, and actually advanced rather than awarding those that would show up anyway.

I'm playing devil's advocate now..LOL

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

There is no possible chance for a child with a 75 IQ to get an academic achievement award. 

There is no possible chance for a very uncoordinated child with severe asthma to get an athletic award.  Sure there is- they just have to pick a sport that they are able to excel at. Maybe thy can take up target shooting, or bowling. Things that take talent and skill but not a TON of physical acttivity.

There is always going to be someone that can't do any given activity with a high degree of success. Should we really stop awarding excellence because everyone can't always be excellent?

And ADA standards don't prohibit playground equipment that everyone can't access. It just says there has to be some equipment children with various disabilities can use. Playgrounds still have slides you need to climb up and monkey bars that kids in wheel chairs can't use. That doesn't mean kids who can't climb up them are being tortured. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Quoting Cindy18:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I'm not a fan of attendance awards and have no issue with doing away with them. 

It's the idea that some kids shouldn't get it because others didn't or couldn't earn it. That just drives me nuts. It just came up in the attendance post. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. 

I get what you are saying, and I agree to awards in general even if it's not possible for everyone to attain it.

I just HATE Attendance awards with a passion. I get the importance of a good education, but missing a day or two here and there isn't the end of the world.  I would be more for an award where you recognise those that have IMPORVED their attendance, and actually advanced rather than awarding those that would show up anyway.

I'm playing devil's advocate now..LOL

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

There is no possible chance for a very uncoordinated child with severe asthma to get an athletic award.  Sure there is- they just have to pick a sport that they are able to excel at. Maybe thy can take up target shooting, or bowling. Things that take talent and skill but not a TON of physical acttivity. But couldn't that child still be devastated because he wanted the track award? Everyone can earn another award. This about doing away with one because it's not possible for some. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Quoting Cindy18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN