Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This is an obvious spin off from the post about attendance awards. 

I already said in that post I don't think they really encourage the kids with poor attendance to come to school more so they don't really help attendance problems. 

But as I read through the thread I was struck by how many moms thought it was unfair or even cruel for some kids to be given this award since their own child wouldn't be getting it. 

But isn't that true for any award? What would the point be of award if everyone got it?

Should we stop giving sports awards because the less coordinated kids will be sad they didn't get it? Is an art award unfair to the students who don't draw well?

The bigger question is really why are kids upset if their classmates get something they don't? Not receiving an award isn't a punishment. But somehow it seems to be interpreted that way but students and parents. Of course a young child may feel a little disappointment when he or she sees a classmate get to take home a certificate or trophy. But as parents isn't it our job to teach them they should be happy for the other child and help them realize that everyone has different strengths?

One my struggling students is working to earn perfect attendance this year. He has his own alarm clock in his room and gets up and out to the bus 10 minutes early every day because he knows if he misses the bus he can't get to school. He earned perfect attendance last year and the trophy sits on a shelf in the middle of the living room. Anyone who comes over is shown the trophy the second they walk through the door. This award gave him something to be proud of.  He comes to school every day and watches his classmates out score him on every test and assignments. So when he got to walk up on that stage to get his trophy it was a huge accomplishment to him. 

So if you think it's so cruel your kid didn't get an award because they got sick a few times maybe you should consider just being happy for the kids that did get it. 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (81-90):
tristansmom74
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Lol- i only read the first page but this us making me laugh. Attendance awards are not from- accompishing anything. Its like giving someone an award for not getting suck or hurt. Being lucky enough to "not catch that virus" great job!
I don't think it hurts anyone's feeling but it has always made me chuckle a little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM
This

Quoting Mama2ETA:

I cannot stand the entitled mentality. Not everyone is a winner at everything. Everyone has their day to shine. I hate *yes, hate* when they give every child in sports a trophy or medal. It defeats the purpose. Isn't the purpose to show those that thrived in that area how amazing they did? For attendance, it IS the same thing. Yes, some kids get sick, some have bad immune systems (my 1st grader and K have missed school both years for my 1st grader and this year for my K because they get sick easily) but it doesn't matter. The kids who are at school every day deserve to be rewarded for their constant effort!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Is your nephew with you when you take your kids somewhere?

To me, if you have your nephew with you and get your kids something, then you really should give your nephew something as well. If you are giving them something as a treat for doing something, then don't take your nephew with you.

Quoting ramonafrog:

I completely agree. No need to "make things fair" for those who don't deserve an award. My sister is the worst about this. If I take my kids somewhere as a special treat or buy them a little toy, or anything really, and my nephew is left out, it becomes a huge ordeal.
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:51 AM

I agree. The everyone should get exactly the same thing in school, is why all the kids out there feel that the world owes them a life, and that everyone should bow down to them now a days. I can't stand that entitlement crap.

decembercherish
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM

We had attenadance awards. My oldest got it for being well and never missing in 4 years. Her sister was sad she did not get one but she did not feel punished. She gets Honor roll awards and finally got a music specials award. She was excited. Both girls do well on the school stuff. My oldest was on High A honor roll this semester but there are no awards for it in middle school and she is fine with that, she says she would rather worry about other things.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM

We are in the age of *leave no child behind*. Parents can't accept the fact that some kids are going to do better than their own little angel face and they don't understand that not including all kids in every single thing is actually a good thing. Kids don't have to actually work towards anything anymore and have become lazy. Why do anything worthwhile when the rest of the world will bitch and moan on your behalf?

zinniadaisy
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I always thought the attendance awards were always kinda silly and my friends who won them always had an air of "um....ok, thanks..." about it....

But yes, people who think others should not get award just because their "little precious" isn't getting one too are delusional and are setting their kids up for a ruse awakening once they get into the real world

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I think that there has been too much of a move toward everyone has to be special and feel good all the time. Attendance awards are fine. So are awards for other things. Not everyone needs an "I participated" ribbon. 

My kid gets seriously sick for about a week each year. His school has an attendance incentive based on which class has the most perfect attendance for the month. His class has won sometimes. 

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I agree with you.  In the other thread I actually was one who liked perfect attendance award.  In my mind, award usually means certificate.  It doesn't have to be a big hoopla, but I think it's nice to recognize it.

I am actually home today with one of my kids who is sick.  He's had a fever all weekend and was still at 100.4 this morning and still complaining that his head hurt.  So here we are, and he obviously won't get an award for perfect attendance.  But that's ok.  It wouldn't really be an award if everyone got it.  There are things that can be done to improve the chance of getting it.  Good diet and exercise can help reduce the chance of getting colds, flu, etc.  It can become a great learning opportunity for kids on how to take good care of their bodies.

I was a child who was never getting a sports award and was unlikely to get an academic award.  Attendance was something I could do and could feel good about.  We all have our different strengths and weaknesses.  Why would it be wrong to recognize the strength of having perfect attendance?

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I want to add too that there are adult examples as well where even illness absense is frowned upon.  I knew someone who had a job where so many absenses in a certain time period would get them fired.  That even included absenses for illness.  Is it right that some employers have that kind of a policy?  Absolutely not.  But it's life and it's unfair.

That would actually be a very good lesson for kids.  Work hard so that you have options in employment and can ditch the crappy employers like that.  I have a very understanding employer about absenses.  I couldn't imagine having a crappy one.  I am glad I have had choices in my life to avoid the crappy ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN