Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting paid to pick up kids from school.

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM
  • 18 Replies

I am in negotiation with my dd friends mom to pick up her daughter from school and drop her off at her office because she works and can't pick her up.  She will pay me weekly for gas and my time.  The place is about 3 miles from school & home. 

What should I ask for? 

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea. I do it as a favor to the school to pick up and bring home another girl that goes to the school. I think it depends, does your DD go to the school too? If so I would factor only about ten percent of your gas cost since you have to get your own child anyway. And the time charge would depend on how much effort it was to pick up this child and then drop her at the office, which you wont know until you try it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM

3 miles isn't that far.  How far out of the way is it for you?  I would charge her whatever the gas would cost you for that much and perhaps a little bit more :).

So, if its 1 mile out of your way, then charge her $4/day or so.  Does that help?

JeremysMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

$12 a week and this is how I came to that answer.

I believe the government rate for mileage is 53 cents a mile. So that would be 53 x 3(miles)= $1.59 x 5 (days)= $7.95 for gas.

For time $10 an hour and I am going to assume that it takes 5 minutes to do this so 5 minutes of time= 85 cents x 5 days= $4.25. The total is $12.20 but I just rounded it to $12. 

ETA- I am assuming that the 3 miles is round trip, if not then I would charge $20 a week.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Is this trip to the office out of your way or do you pass it to and from the school? Does her daughter attend the same school as your child?

kirstensmommie
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM
I would say $20 a week.
ProudMommy51006
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I would either make it an easy $20 or not take any money.
annelauer
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't see charging if you are going to the school at that time anyway. Maybe she'll be in a position to do you a favor sometime.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Government milage rate is currently $0.56/mile.  I just had to check on that figure a week or so ago for my auditing job.

Quoting JeremysMom:

$12 a week and this is how I came to that answer.

I believe the government rate for mileage is 53 cents a mile. So that would be 53 x 3(miles)= $1.59 x 5 (days)= $7.95 for gas.

For time $10 an hour and I am going to assume that it takes 5 minutes to do this so 5 minutes of time= 85 cents x 5 days= $4.25. The total is $12.20 but I just rounded it to $12. 

ETA- I am assuming that the 3 miles is round trip, if not then I would charge $20 a week.

calsmom62
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM
$5 a day , 100.00 a month.
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I'd do like $10-15 a week at most, if its just dropping her off three miles away. It's only going to use like a gallon or two of your gas a week and take an extra ten minutes out of your day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)