Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

DRY SKIN!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM
  • 49 Replies

Poor baby has had the most horrible dry skin lately ;/.  Not to mention his face.  I've had to apply my Clinique face lotion onto his face almost everytime he bathes.

We don't bathe him everyday because of his dry skin (he gets dry skin in the summer even :/.).

ANd his hands look beat up!!!  They are rough, scaly and cracking with bleeding.  I have been putting lotion on his hands all the time (but he insists on washing his hands all the time).

Do you konw what kind of soap they typically use at school?  Do you think I should send him with some gentler handsoap at school?

I guess I should look into gentler body soap too :/.  He's using Dove Senstiive Hypoallergenic now!!!  Most everything else tears his skin to peices with excema.

But, a question.  What is a good gentle face soap?  I think that would be best for him right now.  And a good hand lotoin to send to school with him?

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM
For lotion, have you tried Amlactin? That stuff is great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM

How old is he?  May not even need a face soap.   I know for our school they use a foaming soap for the classrooms.  DD told me all about it.   A friend that i had whom suffered from eczema i would buy her soaps/lotions from bath and body works.   Have you tried oatmeal based products or aloe based?  I wonder if bag balm would help his hands.

janitablue
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM

My skin was flaky dry and itchy. I would scratched my skin until it bleeds. I had no choice but run to dermatology it was best decision I made for my skin. The doctor gave me a shot and I did a allergy test. I found out I was not allergy to anything. I was also give medication for six days.

I used TriDerma Md, Aveeno ,Nivea, and Dove soap. I moisture my skin as often as I can. I might sound crazy for using so many different lotion but I don't want my skin to look and feel the way it did. 

AngryBob
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM
I had eczema on my hands, so I put some really good lotion, slathered it on and rubbed it in. Then i put even more on, and let it sit on my hands. Then i put a glove on, just a medical glove, and slept the night like that. I think I did it twice for each hand. I did only one hand a night, it was easier to sleep like that. It pretty much cured it.
Make sure you get fragrance free lotion, made with an oil other than mineral oil.
Wish I could help with the face. I have no idea. Can't exactly wrap plastic around the poor kid's head. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AlohaTink
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Ds has had it since he was a baby. He uses dove hypoallergenic soap and after I do spot treatment with elocon cream (it's an rx, generic is mometasone) and slather on aveeno lotion. He does shower daily because he's a stinky messy boy though. His fingers looked like you described and it was because ds was sucking on them but after a few days of redirection when he put then in his mouth he stopped and they're fine now. Ds is 6 btw. Hope this helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM

No, where do you find that?  I'd like to try it :)

Quoting coolmommy2x:

corrinacs
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

He's 5.  I typically use facewash because its gentler on the skin than regular soap.  He gets his face DIRTY.  Eating, playing outside, etc.  He's always has goop on his face LOL.  

I probably should find something for his hands for school.  I wonder if Aveeno would work well for him.  Our Leo is allergic to oats so we don't use it on him.

Quoting frndlyfn:

How old is he?  May not even need a face soap.   I know for our school they use a foaming soap for the classrooms.  DD told me all about it.   A friend that i had whom suffered from eczema i would buy her soaps/lotions from bath and body works.   Have you tried oatmeal based products or aloe based?  I wonder if bag balm would help his hands.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I know that feeling.  My skin is really bad too :( :(.  I even skip showers a lot in the winter because my poor skin gets really beat up.  I moisterize like no one's business.  The best stuff I ever got was this Clinique body butter my DH got me for Christmas like 3 years ago.  Its thick, but man my skin feels nice after that :).

I probably should take all three of us (me, Caden and his baby brother Leo) to the dermatologist.   We all have really bad skin :(

Quoting janitablue:

My skin was flaky dry and itchy. I would scratched my skin until it bleeds. I had no choice but run to dermatology it was best decision I made for my skin. The doctor gave me a shot and I did a allergy test. I found out I was not allergy to anything. I was also give medication for six days.

I used TriDerma Md, Aveeno ,Nivea, and Dove soap. I moisture my skin as often as I can. I might sound crazy for using so many different lotion but I don't want my skin to look and feel the way it did. 

corrinacs
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, thanks :).  Nope, I think plastic wrap is a suffocation hazard LOL.  The lotion I put on his face helps a lot :).

I have definitely put lotion on his hands.  I have some of htat Mary Kay Satin Hands set.  I get the thick lotion part of it and put that on his hands and put socks over it.  But I feel the socks are too absorbing, so I don't know if the skin picked up the moisture or the scok :/.

Quoting AngryBob:

I had eczema on my hands, so I put some really good lotion, slathered it on and rubbed it in. Then i put even more on, and let it sit on my hands. Then i put a glove on, just a medical glove, and slept the night like that. I think I did it twice for each hand. I did only one hand a night, it was easier to sleep like that. It pretty much cured it.
Make sure you get fragrance free lotion, made with an oil other than mineral oil.
Wish I could help with the face. I have no idea. Can't exactly wrap plastic around the poor kid's head. Good luck.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I've gotten it at CVs but had to ask the pharmacist to order it (not a prescription) and I've seen it at Costco.

Quoting corrinacs:

No, where do you find that?  I'd like to try it :)

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN