Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Poor baby has had the most horrible dry skin lately ;/.  Not to mention his face.  I've had to apply my Clinique face lotion onto his face almost everytime he bathes.

We don't bathe him everyday because of his dry skin (he gets dry skin in the summer even :/.).

ANd his hands look beat up!!!  They are rough, scaly and cracking with bleeding.  I have been putting lotion on his hands all the time (but he insists on washing his hands all the time).

Do you konw what kind of soap they typically use at school?  Do you think I should send him with some gentler handsoap at school?

I guess I should look into gentler body soap too :/.  He's using Dove Senstiive Hypoallergenic now!!!  Most everything else tears his skin to peices with excema.

But, a question.  What is a good gentle face soap?  I think that would be best for him right now.  And a good hand lotoin to send to school with him?

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Replies (41-49):
mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Yep. My hands get super bad in winter and I always have to keep them coverwb in lotion... It sucks. Especially for a child :(

Quoting corrinacs:

I'm thinking about it.  I never thought about petrolim jellys and such.  I could use a pair of his old cheap gloves (the thin ones).  He wear long sleeves and pants to bed.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

What about creamy baby oil or petroleum jelly? Especially when he's at home/ sleeping?

Quoting corrinacs:

Yep, that won't work.  I put coco butter on my tummy when I was pregnant with his brother and he hugged me.  Through my clothes was enough to make him break out in hives all over :(

That's why I have such a hard time.  The stuff that's super good for moisterizing skin, he's allergic to LOL

Quoting mommaFruFru:

We use cocoa butter soap nd lotions, or shay butter.... But fif he's allergic to tree nuts it wouldn't work :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Cetaphil products are good. I use it on my son because he gets horrible eczema sometimes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I'd stop using face soap, and use baby lotion after washing his hands and after bathing.  My son's skin has gotten really dry, and lotion right after bathing has really helped!

SueMNanaMama
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Organic coconut oil.  Heals LOTS of skin conditions.  And more, if you cook with it, too!

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM

My son uses either Eucerin or Aveeno. We all use caress body soap.

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Quoting SueMNanaMama:

Organic coconut oil.  Heals LOTS of skin conditions.  And more, if you cook with it, too!

This broke my son out even more. My boss gave me some for him because she swears by it for many different things and it was horrible for him.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:56 PM

We use coconut oil for dry skin

Heartlight617
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I have autoimmune thyroiditis, hand eczema and dry skin. I use Cetaphil bar soap, expensive (BJ's sells it cheaper, and our markets now sell 3 bars/$9.00 ) WELL worth it! It is the so gentle. Also, Cetaphil sells a 'Cleansing Fluid' which doesn't even need to be washed off! I would use it on a gentle face cloth to wash his face. I actually use it like moisturizer-it rocks! The pain of splits and cracks on ones hands cannot be underestimated. Also, before I discovered Cetaphil, I woke one day with such sore hands I could barely button my jeans. Next day, two red lines up each arm! I had to go to the ER, where they used IV antibiotics.
Kids do not need as much soap, just let them shower or soak in small amts for short times. I hope it helps you!
corrinacs
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Oh wow, i can't believe you had such an infection from that!  Caden has gotten several staph infections from dry skin :/.  One time it was on his face, talk about gross.  Luckily, anitbiotics were fine for him.

I know that the cetaphyl regular stuff bothers his skin so badly and the moisterizer itself has almonds in it.  But I will certainly try the "Cleansing Fluid".  The less water you have to use the better :).

Thanks! 

Quoting Heartlight617:

I have autoimmune thyroiditis, hand eczema and dry skin. I use Cetaphil bar soap, expensive (BJ's sells it cheaper, and our markets now sell 3 bars/$9.00 ) WELL worth it! It is the so gentle. Also, Cetaphil sells a 'Cleansing Fluid' which doesn't even need to be washed off! I would use it on a gentle face cloth to wash his face. I actually use it like moisturizer-it rocks! The pain of splits and cracks on ones hands cannot be underestimated. Also, before I discovered Cetaphil, I woke one day with such sore hands I could barely button my jeans. Next day, two red lines up each arm! I had to go to the ER, where they used IV antibiotics.
Kids do not need as much soap, just let them shower or soak in small amts for short times. I hope it helps you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)