Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My kids haven't had a full day of school in over a week....

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:52 AM
  • 14 Replies

Last week, Monday was an inservice day followed by 4 days of a 2 hour delay because of wind chills plus an early dismissal on Friday due to a storm that hit earlier than expected and now tomorrow is already a delayed start due to the ice storm coming through. I'm actually waiting for the 5am call to cancel for the day because it's not supposed to clear up until afternoon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad our school is doing what they can to keep the kids safe but I am dreading the work that is coming for the kids to try and make up everything that they are missing. 15 hours of instructional time that has to be made up somewhere! Teachers will have to rewrite lesson plans to try and cram more stuff in (like they have any extra time to work with as it is!) I guess I'm just frustrated with knowing how hard this is going to make things for both the teachers and the kids. With PSSA's (PA's state assessment tests) coming up soon it's going to be rough for everyone.

I am so ready for spring!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM
They will probably also have school on the holidays set aside for makeup days too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I remember one year we were out for 2-3 weeks and had to go until nearly july to make up time.  It was horrible we go in start classes, have to leave due to bad weather and whatever we were doing would stand still until the next time we were able to make it to school.   I am in pacific northwest now and we rarely get snow days at our elevation.

MamaLori
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM

We've already lost 2 days from Easter break because of the days we missed due to hurricane Sandy. Plus we've already used the built in snow days. We always have 2 of those in the school calendar. If they cancel tomorrow, all we will have off is Good Friday. After that, there aren't any other days left. About 8 years ago we had to add days onto the end of the school year because of missing so many. That really messed up plans. Some kids were leaving for the military and had to postpone because they weren't able to graduate on time!

endurablemist
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:18 AM
Our school only cancelled once, but last week we had the same delays and early dismissal. They aren't delayed today, not that it matters much, DD is out till Wednesday with Strep throat.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Here they rarely cancel but when they do it is made up on saturdays!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Our school doesn't even plan for snow days, which is ridiculous since we live in Western PA. So what happens is they just start taking away pre-schedule holidays first, and then if they still need more time, they tack it on the end of the school year. It's so annoying.

aj23
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:59 AM

That's crazy that they don't have snow days. I'm in TN and we have 8 built into our calender. We very rarely use them all but it's nice to have them.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Our school doesn't even plan for snow days, which is ridiculous since we live in Western PA. So what happens is they just start taking away pre-schedule holidays first, and then if they still need more time, they tack it on the end of the school year. It's so annoying.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM

We had full days on Thur and Fri last week.  No early dismissal on Friday and that was honestly a good thing because the storm was at its worst around noon here in the Pittsburgh area.  By 3:00, when the kids get out of school, the snow had slowed down and the roads had been plowed.

We do have a delay this morning, but the ice is already staring to break up and turn slushy.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Wow, that's crazy.  I'm in Western PA as well and we have 10-12 snow days built into our calendar.  I don't ever recall them tacking days onto the end of the year and that includes the Feb that we had over 3 feet of snow a few years back.  My boys didn't have a full day of school that Feb.

Quoting cjsbmom:

-KJ
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:30 AM
We live in MN and haven't had any snow days yet this year. 1 day cancelled for the wind chill last week. We are 19 inches below the average for snow fall so far this winter also.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN