Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

im pretty fed up

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM
  • 18 Replies
Everyday is a challenge with my son. He gets mad when I wake him for school. He doesn't clean his room. He don't like to wash up or brush his teeth. He got a negative attitude. He gets mad at everything I tell him to do. I wish he could go stay with his dad for awhile, because he's recking my nerves. I just don't know wat to do with him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momyplease
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM
have you talked to him kindly about this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM

How old is your son?  What forms of discipline do you use?

calsmom62
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
How old is he? Don't feel alone, you aren't the first woman or man for that matter, who has been at the end of her rope with a boy who has a chip on his shoulder.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I was gonna ask the same things, but you beat me to it.

Quoting steelcrazy:

GotSomeKids
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I was wondering the same thing.  My daughter went through something similar when she was 6 yo (give or take).  One day, I got tired of it, but instead of yelling or even grounding her.  I said, okay, school is not an option.  I sent her to school in her jammies and explained to her teacher what was going on (she was very cooperative).  Yeah, she at least gets changed now.  Same thing with breakfast.  I say, you had an opportunity to eat, you didn't eat, now you have to wait for lunch.  She gets mad, but I kindly (or sometimes not so kindly) remind her that it was a choice SHE made and that is her consequence.  So, she should be mad at herself and not anyone else.

Quoting steelcrazy:

janitablue
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I would take away my son privilege for example no more games, computer, ipod or watching tv shows. 

fullofhope1
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I'm wondering how old too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_pink_tink
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM
4 moms liked this

I was having a ton of issues, many similar to yours. I tried everything that I knew to try, put him in time out, grounded him from everything, took everything away, tried talking nice etc etc. I about ripped my hair out. I broke down and bought a book. "how to raise kids you want to keep." (funny thing was, i kept using the phrase "he's free to a  good home" )  I decided to try some of the tips in that book, and they have made a tramendous defference in my child. The auther is a family psychatrist, and used stores from the families that he treated with the methods presented in the book. He goes into detail about how to use the different methods, and the stories are the examples of the success they actually where. If you can get it i highly recommend it!

GotSomeKids
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Another good book is Love and Logic:  Teaching Our Kids Responsibility

Quoting mama_pink_tink:

I was having a ton of issues, many similar to yours. I tried everything that I knew to try, put him in time out, grounded him from everything, took everything away, tried talking nice etc etc. I about ripped my hair out. I broke down and bought a book. "how to raise kids you want to keep." (funny thing was, i kept using the phrase "he's free to a  good home" )  I decided to try some of the tips in that book, and they have made a tramendous defference in my child. The auther is a family psychatrist, and used stores from the families that he treated with the methods presented in the book. He goes into detail about how to use the different methods, and the stories are the examples of the success they actually where. If you can get it i highly recommend it!

BeautifulMomof1
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM
2 moms liked this
I use a similar technique with my son and it seems to work for us . . I haven't had to send him to school in his jammies, but he has gone without dinner because he refused to eat what I had cooked . .

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I was wondering the same thing.  My daughter went through something similar when she was 6 yo (give or take).  One day, I got tired of it, but instead of yelling or even grounding her.  I said, okay, school is not an option.  I sent her to school in her jammies and explained to her teacher what was going on (she was very cooperative).  Yeah, she at least gets changed now.  Same thing with breakfast.  I say, you had an opportunity to eat, you didn't eat, now you have to wait for lunch.  She gets mad, but I kindly (or sometimes not so kindly) remind her that it was a choice SHE made and that is her consequence.  So, she should be mad at herself and not anyone else.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN