Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PBIS -- Positive Behavior Incentive System

Posted by   + Show Post

Does your school use it? All the schools in our district do. It's a bit different at each school. It works very well. The idea is immediate recognition of good or bad behavior.

The children start on Green and if they do something good, they go up to Purple. If they do something bad, they go to Yellow or Red. They can recover. They really want to go to Purple! If they are Green or Purple at the end of every day for the quarter, they get to pick a special activity. 

They also get coupons for doing the right thing. They can spend the coupons once a week on erasers or stickers, etc. Class behavior during a Special gets them up to 4 marbles. The first class to fill its jar gets a pizza party. Good class behavior in the cafeteria (always a challenge) also gets them pizza.

One of the things I really like is that perfect attendance and no tardies for the week means they participate in the Friday morning dance party, which adds a physical fitness aspect. The kids really enjoy this. It is cute to see the 1st graders trying to do the Macarena. 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Yes, our school does

SpurgeonMom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:59 PM
our school does they get stars for good behavior and once a month they get to spend their stars on a reward which can be anything from a pencil to eating lunch with the principle. my second graders teacher had also come up with a system where if they get an S they color a square and when they color all them they get something special like my daughter chose to walk around class with no shoes she got to for 1 full day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Kindergarten and 1st grade do something similar. In kindy, it was a colored block system. In first grade, they combine it w/ learning about money. They have a fine sheet each week w/ 15 "pennies" on it- misbehave and "lose" a penny (crossed off). They "save" their pennies and every other week have the option to spend them in the class store on coupons for things like "use a pen", "sit at the teacher's desk", "take shoes off in the classroom", etc.

In 2nd gr, ds2 teacher just did stamps on a weekly sheet- good behavior all morning= 1 stamp, good behavior all afternoon= 2nd stamp. The incentive was that the kids got to use the stampers to stamp their own sheets. At the end of the wk, he's bring it home and I'd sign it, and he'd take it back Monday.

From 3rd gr on up, they are expected to know how to behave. Each teacher has their own warning system before contacting a parent.

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:37 AM
I cant stand it. It started in kindergarten and still in 2nd grade there r incentives. Drives me insane. My kids know how to behave but now that they were introduced to this incentive stuff they expect it at home too. Its rediculous that it has to be in place because there r select few who dont feel they need to behave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayandjsmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Yeah, they have the color chart but they also have these bucks they can earn for every good thing noticed. The bucks go in a jar and at the end of the week, they pull out names. The kids that get picked get to pick what they want. Some of the options are: lunch with a teacher, more computer time, sit by whoever you want. Dd loves it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I know our elementary has a something to that effect.

family in the van   Mom of four

deltadawn1975
by Melissa Dawn on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM

My dd's school has this program. Her colors are different though.

Red=Outstanding

Orange= Great Job

yellow=Good Day

Green=Ready To Learn

Blue=Think about it (first warning)

Purple=Teacher's Choice (second warning & lose part of recess)

Pink=Parent Contact (the child has to call home and tell their parent what they did wrong)

They can recover though if they behave for the rest of the day. They get stickers for their sticker chart if they get above green.When they have a full week of stickers they get something from the treasure box, when they fill up a full month with stickers they get extra computer time.

Tara922c
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, students can earn these little coupons for showing excellent behavior. All school personal gives out the coupons and earning a coupon is random, so it is not like a student gets a coupon just because he/she is following a rule, he/she has to go above and beyond the school's expectations. After earning 10 coupons, the kids can go to the treasure box.

I am all for positive reinforcements. Telling little Timmy if he sits in his seat is bribery. Rewarding Timmy with a sticker on his sticker chart because he made good choices on his own is not. I usepositive reinforcement in the classroom daily and it is usually something a simple as "I really like the way Timmy came to the carpet, sat down, put his hands in his lap, and waited for me to begin. Timmy, you may go put a sticker on your sticker chart." The process not only rewards Timmy for making a great choice, but it models positive behavior to the rest of the class.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Bribery will get you anywhere @@

workoutmom2b1g
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Oh here we go. Incentive/bribery debate. Geez. Some kids do amazing using these systems. Some teacher have so many kids nowadays, it really works for them. Give me a break. I am not into bribs myself, but one of my 4 has a few behavior problems. If you see the look in his eye when he does good and can record it, you might think different. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)