Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

PBIS -- Positive Behavior Incentive System

Posted by   + Show Post

Does your school use it? All the schools in our district do. It's a bit different at each school. It works very well. The idea is immediate recognition of good or bad behavior.

The children start on Green and if they do something good, they go up to Purple. If they do something bad, they go to Yellow or Red. They can recover. They really want to go to Purple! If they are Green or Purple at the end of every day for the quarter, they get to pick a special activity. 

They also get coupons for doing the right thing. They can spend the coupons once a week on erasers or stickers, etc. Class behavior during a Special gets them up to 4 marbles. The first class to fill its jar gets a pizza party. Good class behavior in the cafeteria (always a challenge) also gets them pizza.

One of the things I really like is that perfect attendance and no tardies for the week means they participate in the Friday morning dance party, which adds a physical fitness aspect. The kids really enjoy this. It is cute to see the 1st graders trying to do the Macarena. 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (21-30):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

They have "cheetah bucks" when they show respect, safety, and responsibility (their rules). 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't believe in rewarding kids for doing what they should do. I've recently read some research about how negatively this impacts behavior as soon as the rewards are removed. It's also very difficult to motivate older students with rewards. They get so used to constantly earning things it gets to a point where they don't really care. 

I've actually done away with almost all the rewards in my classroom and we're focusing on the intrinsic rewards from doing the right thing. It's working beautifully. 

rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Our school system has something similar. I like it a lot because it makes the kids strive to be better.

rockinmomto2
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

That's what we do at home. We don't give the kids an allowance for helping around the house or for getting good grades. We don't reward for expected behavior. We DO give an extra cookie or a popsicle if one of the kids has gone above and beyond (way above and beyond). Recently, my 5 year old DS was asked to clean up his coloring stuff and put it away. Along with doing that, he picked up all the plastic bags his sister had thrown on the floor and organized the pantry. That earned him two cookies, and he's done it often since then with no reward. It does work really well and the kids do what they're expected.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

I don't believe in rewarding kids for doing what they should do. I've recently read some research about how negatively this impacts behavior as soon as the rewards are removed. It's also very difficult to motivate older students with rewards. They get so used to constantly earning things it gets to a point where they don't really care. 

I've actually done away with almost all the rewards in my classroom and we're focusing on the intrinsic rewards from doing the right thing. It's working beautifully. 

jaytee
by Jen on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Not in the 5th grade but in Pre-K through 4th grade they do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM

The schools in our district do, but my children go to a charter school now.  They use the same idea, but, like you said, it is a bit different.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I don't believe that most kids NEED to be rewarded for doing the right thing.  Most kids are so damn spoiled that they can't do the tiniest thing if there isn't something in it for them.

I can see where there are times, on a case by case basis I can see the benefit butas a school-wide issue? NO way.

My DS2 has ADHD, I never believe it until DS and living it. In public school he was mentally abused by his teacher and other students. Belittled and put down to where he came home asking, "Why did God make me stupid?"  He was very depressed and unmotivated  and I ended up pulling him out and homeschooling him. He refused to do ANYTHING saying, "Why bother? I'm just going to fail." So we went to a token system where he earned 1 token for even HALF a sheet of work...so many tokens bought him extra tv/computer time, game time with Mom or Dad, time at the park, etc. Eventually, as his confidence grew, it became a token per page, the maybe even per subject, then just once a day for doing everything... As he got more confidence and re-awakened his love of learning, we found we didn't need it at all anymore.

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Oh here we go. Incentive/bribery debate. Geez. Some kids do amazing using these systems. Some teacher have so many kids nowadays, it really works for them. Give me a break. I am not into bribs myself, but one of my 4 has a few behavior problems. If you see the look in his eye when he does good and can record it, you might think different. 

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Oh here we go. Incentive/bribery debate. Geez. Some kids do amazing using these systems. Some teacher have so many kids nowadays, it really works for them. Give me a break. I am not into bribs myself, but one of my 4 has a few behavior problems. If you see the look in his eye when he does good and can record it, you might think different. 

No one is saying kids shouldn't be proud when they do what they're supposed to. But constantly rewarding actually interferes with them building that feeling of pride. They associate the good feeling with the reward and don't learn that it feels good because it was the right thing to do.

It might be nice in the short term, but in the long run it creates more problems than it solves. 

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:55 PM
The school I teach at does PBIS. Its great imo.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
workoutmom2b1g
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM

This is what his teacher said! Once he is built up more and doesn't need it, it won't be nessecary! I'm glad your son is doing better!!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I don't believe that most kids NEED to be rewarded for doing the right thing.  Most kids are so damn spoiled that they can't do the tiniest thing if there isn't something in it for them.

I can see where there are times, on a case by case basis I can see the benefit butas a school-wide issue? NO way.

My DS2 has ADHD, I never believe it until DS and living it. In public school he was mentally abused by his teacher and other students. Belittled and put down to where he came home asking, "Why did God make me stupid?"  He was very depressed and unmotivated  and I ended up pulling him out and homeschooling him. He refused to do ANYTHING saying, "Why bother? I'm just going to fail." So we went to a token system where he earned 1 token for even HALF a sheet of work...so many tokens bought him extra tv/computer time, game time with Mom or Dad, time at the park, etc. Eventually, as his confidence grew, it became a token per page, the maybe even per subject, then just once a day for doing everything... As he got more confidence and re-awakened his love of learning, we found we didn't need it at all anymore.

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN