Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

PBIS -- Positive Behavior Incentive System

Posted by   + Show Post

Does your school use it? All the schools in our district do. It's a bit different at each school. It works very well. The idea is immediate recognition of good or bad behavior.

The children start on Green and if they do something good, they go up to Purple. If they do something bad, they go to Yellow or Red. They can recover. They really want to go to Purple! If they are Green or Purple at the end of every day for the quarter, they get to pick a special activity. 

They also get coupons for doing the right thing. They can spend the coupons once a week on erasers or stickers, etc. Class behavior during a Special gets them up to 4 marbles. The first class to fill its jar gets a pizza party. Good class behavior in the cafeteria (always a challenge) also gets them pizza.

One of the things I really like is that perfect attendance and no tardies for the week means they participate in the Friday morning dance party, which adds a physical fitness aspect. The kids really enjoy this. It is cute to see the 1st graders trying to do the Macarena. 

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (31-35):
workoutmom2b1g
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM

As I said, I'm not into bribing children, but until my son is doing better and can do what he needs to do without an incentive program, I will use it. My other kids don't use. It can be very beneficial to build a kid up when used in the right way. 

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Oh here we go. Incentive/bribery debate. Geez. Some kids do amazing using these systems. Some teacher have so many kids nowadays, it really works for them. Give me a break. I am not into bribs myself, but one of my 4 has a few behavior problems. If you see the look in his eye when he does good and can record it, you might think different. 

No one is saying kids shouldn't be proud when they do what they're supposed to. But constantly rewarding actually interferes with them building that feeling of pride. They associate the good feeling with the reward and don't learn that it feels good because it was the right thing to do.

It might be nice in the short term, but in the long run it creates more problems than it solves. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Case by case is a different story than what the OP was asking about...a school wide system.

With a generic system,those who need it most don't tend to bother.

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

As I said, I'm not into bribing children, but until my son is doing better and can do what he needs to do without an incentive program, I will use it. My other kids don't use. It can be very beneficial to build a kid up when used in the right way. 

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Oh here we go. Incentive/bribery debate. Geez. Some kids do amazing using these systems. Some teacher have so many kids nowadays, it really works for them. Give me a break. I am not into bribs myself, but one of my 4 has a few behavior problems. If you see the look in his eye when he does good and can record it, you might think different. 

No one is saying kids shouldn't be proud when they do what they're supposed to. But constantly rewarding actually interferes with them building that feeling of pride. They associate the good feeling with the reward and don't learn that it feels good because it was the right thing to do.

It might be nice in the short term, but in the long run it creates more problems than it solves. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM

My son used the Positive Behavior Incentive System expect color red is when the child did something that the parents needs to be notify or suspend. Last week my son who is in third grade had a pajama day. It was for only the third grade.

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Ours does, but it's reversed...red is best.

Works great for my 1st grader because his teacher uses it consistently & properly.

However, my 3rd grader's teacher is a scatter brain and forgets about it most of the time. She typically only remembers when a normally misbehaving student is suddenly behaving and he gets to move up - but she rarely remembers to have the consistently good kids move up so they get discouraged.

Basically, any kind of plan like this is only as good as the teacher running it. Personally, I hate incentifying (my word, lol) good behavior that should simply be the expectation not the exception.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I'm surprised that there are schools that use Red for the good color as everyone knows Red is bad in the stoplight system.

The main thing about PBIS is that it works! You may not like it, but it does. It needs to be immediate consequences for good or bad behavior. Some of the teachers don't understand that. There also has to be the opportunity for the children to be recognized for Good behavior, not just Bad. That way all the students see who is doing the right thing. That motivates them. It is not so much the coupons but the up and down on the clip chart that is the big deal. They really want to be on Purple at the end of the day, especially if they are kids for whom that is difficult. I had one little boy sobbing because he had been moved up and then back down and he was never on Purple. It was such a big deal!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN