Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Chatty Kinder!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 3 Replies

My kindergartener has become a super chatterbox! Her school recognizes behavior in their class as well as academics!  During midterms, she was awarded academically and made the honor roll, however she didn't get a certificate for her behavior; when 95% of the class did.  

Does anyone else have a chatty student?  What are you doing to help your little one focus and to stop chatting/playing in class?  Thanks in advance!

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM

What is the teacher doing to help her keep focused?

In my son's K class, the teacher will remind students to focus on their work & do what she can to eliminate distractions.  She will also tell them they need to have X done before they can go out to recess. She is very reasonable in her standard, too, students are set up to succeed but also see the consequences of not working as hard as they should.  But if someone is getting behind on their seat work, she will send it home with them to finish & return.

When this happens with my son, I just make sure he gets it done that afternoon so we can return it the next day.

His teacher says he's getting better.  I don't worry about it right now since she isn't saying its an issue.  At fall conferences when we talked about it, I asked if she wanted us addressing it at home & she said no.  Since I view it as more of a classroom issue, I've left it at that.  My DS knows he's expected to listen to his teacher & that we support her.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM
What was her reaction when she didn't receive the award that her friends got?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dkkc
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Initially she was sad because she thought she was going to get an award at all, but then she got an honor roll award, so she was pretty happy with at least getting one award. I will try to readdress with her teachers. Initially I thought it was normal to get the behavior remarks she had been getting, (the teachers give a daily log) but when I realized her classmates are all getting great behavior marks I was really taken back. She's obviously smart but I don't want her to be labeled as a trouble student. I've tried to discipline her at home but it doesn't seem to be working.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN