Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I call them what they are...making him to sexual aware?

Okay so a back story I was molested as a young child...so I have always taught my son actual names for his body parts (Penis) or a womans (vagina) he knows they are different and for those that judge you can not tell me your child has never walked in on you in the bathroom. ANYWAYS...I have been told because of this I am making my son now 7 too sexual aware....REALLY???

What are thoughts...BASH AWAY!

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
mbenit4
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I don't see a problem with what you are doing.

megs2boys
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys know that their penis is a penis, they don't however know what the correct female term is all they know is that mommy doesnt have one!

icn_mom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

There is nothing wrong with using the real names of the human anotomy.. would you call a tounge a "slimy thing?" no, you call it a tounge, so why is penis and vagina any different?

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I have always done the same thing. I have never used cutsy names for body parts.

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I taught proper names.
DS chooses to call them his front and back private areas. I'm fine with that.
It don't like the cute names or slang names. God forbid something did happen, it could get thrown out of court because of those names.
How does knowing the proper name make anyone sexually aware. They're the one with issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

If an arm is an arm, and a leg is a leg, then why isn't a penis a penis?  Really think about it, we don't give cutesie names to our arms and legs, so why give cutesie names to a penis or vagina?

January1964
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I even had to explain the extreme basics about periods to dd when she was 4 (that's what happens when a 4 y/o follows you into the bathrm during af and asks why your pee is red!).

What did you tell her? My dd saw blood on the toilet tissue, asked about that, and said, "Oh, it must be your lipstick." I am likely going to have to tell her something, soon.

Star127
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I call them what they are, penis and vagina.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM
I agree. Proper names for body parts does not make him more sexually aware. It just tells him the proper names for the body parts. Who told you that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I agree.

Quoting A_McCool:

I think there is a difference in anatomical awareness and sexual awareness.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)