Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I call them what they are...making him to sexual aware?

Okay so a back story I was molested as a young child...so I have always taught my son actual names for his body parts (Penis) or a womans (vagina) he knows they are different and for those that judge you can not tell me your child has never walked in on you in the bathroom. ANYWAYS...I have been told because of this I am making my son now 7 too sexual aware....REALLY???

What are thoughts...BASH AWAY!

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Quoting January1964:

I even had to explain the extreme basics about periods to dd when she was 4 (that's what happens when a 4 y/o follows you into the bathrm during af and asks why your pee is red!).

What did you tell her? My dd saw blood on the toilet tissue, asked about that, and said, "Oh, it must be your lipstick." I am likely going to have to tell her something, soon.

I told her that it was normal for really big girls to bleed from their girl parts once a month. That was enough info for her, and she hasn't asked anything else since.

countrygirlkat
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I don't think that makes him sexually aware to know correct names.  What is the context in which he used them that made people question you on this?

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

how is that sexually aware... htat is the correct name for diff. body parts.  I've always taught my kids about it and they've know that boys are outie and girs innie since .... I don't know talk....

bodies are bodies.... its imp. to teach kids that. and to teach respect and care for it.

Decker
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids call them their proper names. They need to know the real names instead of made up cutesy names.

averysmommom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM

We call them different things for a girl and boy private weather we use "baby names" or the proper terms. That helps kids knowing of the differences of a boy and girl. I dnt see anything wrong or different in that you use more grown up terms. I just preferred to hear more kid friendly names come out of my sons mouth because he was little. Now at 9 he calls it his wiener. 

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Nope I don't.  They know the real names but we refer to them as pee pees and they have no idea for a woman as I only have boys we just call mine a pee pee too.  They see me naked everyday but just no need.

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

no bashing here, mama.  I have always used penis and vagina with my children (5, 5, and 4).  The little one, at 2-1/2, came out of the restroom at her preschool and announced to the class that SHE has a vagina, but her brother has a penis.  The teacher about dropped her teeth laughing when she told me about it (but was very proper and collected in front of the children).  My son had a corrective circumcision when he was 4, and announced to all his friends that the doctor operated on his penis.

I was watching an episode of Supernanny the other day, and the little boy (3) was talking about his weiner.  Huh?  At 3, he can know it is a penis, not a weiner... or a winkie, or a stick, or any number of other things I have heard it called.

It's not sexual awareness... it's BODY awareness.  I WANT my kids to know their bodies...

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

My kids know the proper names.

mrsjksimmons
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I call his penis a weiner. I figure same thing. I've called it a penis before too. I don't think I've actually told him what a female's parts are. He just calls them my mommy parts (below the waist anyway). He knows that my breasts are my boobs.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's the right natural names for it.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM
My ds is 7 and he knows the proper name for his body parts. He also knows sex is something you do when you love someone and that's how babies get here. He heard the word sex in school so I explained it on a basic level. By making up names for their body parts we're doing our kids a disservice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)