Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I call them what they are...making him to sexual aware?

Okay so a back story I was molested as a young child...so I have always taught my son actual names for his body parts (Penis) or a womans (vagina) he knows they are different and for those that judge you can not tell me your child has never walked in on you in the bathroom. ANYWAYS...I have been told because of this I am making my son now 7 too sexual aware....REALLY???

What are thoughts...BASH AWAY!

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (31-40):
PensFan99
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Nope, i always called it "privates" . Dh is good about teaching him proper names. And i have always taught him no one is to touch his privates. But i am learning in this day and age kids are learning things earlier and earlier, so the more open you can talk the better, and you need to start young, something i was not aware of till i was already late! So no bashing here!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cholita1978
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I'm right there with you, dd is five and I use proper names for all body parts, also tell her how no one is to touch her privates parts, even where babies come from.

Momyplease
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree screw that. teach your not to know better. Good job mama. sorry that abuse happened to you.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Okay so a back story I was molested as a young child...so I have always taught my son actual names for his body parts (Penis) or a womans (vagina) he knows they are different and for those that judge you can not tell me your child has never walked in on you in the bathroom. ANYWAYS...I have been told because of this I am making my son now 7 too sexual aware....REALLY???

What are thoughts...BASH AWAY!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM

My children know the proper names as well

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Whatever.  I think it is completely appropriate to teach them the right names for body parts.  And, so what if he is sexually "aware".  Better that than be shocked by something in a few years (pre-pubscent).  As long as you make it clear that they don't act upon it with someone else.  My kids are 9 and 12.  They know the body parts.  They know what sex is.  They know what masterbating is. 

They are just fine!!!!

supermomz25
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM

nothing wrong with teaching him proper names for body parts

MrsApple
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:40 PM

My daughter has always been taught the proper terms for body parts.Hasn't made her too "sexually aware" at all.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:22 AM

My kids both know the proper names for their body parts and I wouldn't have it any other way. I was molested too and have a background in the medical field as a former EMT level 2 and my dh is a former paramedic. I agree with the pp that whoever has said that to you is the one with the problem.

a_brown23
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I have always taught my daughter (almost 6) the proper names for her body parts... elbow, knee, finger, vagina... She also knows that boys have a penis. These are not sexual, they are anatomical. 

BKozICan
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I admit, we used "winky", "privates" and "girl parts" when they were very little, started mixing in "penis" when they were about four.

If you are comfortable using correct terminology, great, it's better for them. I admit, I wasn't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)