Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I call them what they are...making him to sexual aware?

Okay so a back story I was molested as a young child...so I have always taught my son actual names for his body parts (Penis) or a womans (vagina) he knows they are different and for those that judge you can not tell me your child has never walked in on you in the bathroom. ANYWAYS...I have been told because of this I am making my son now 7 too sexual aware....REALLY???

What are thoughts...BASH AWAY!

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (41-50):
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Quoting A_McCool:

I think there is a difference in anatomical awareness and sexual awareness.

^^^^^This^^^^^^

RubyDoobie
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:43 AM
My daughter's known penis and vagina since she was 1-2. Dont worry about what other people think. Only you know how to parent your particular child.
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Nothing wrong with naming the body parts their real names.  However, I can say my kid hasn't walked in on me in the bathroom.  We're very big on privacy in the bathroom in my house.

Mommytotwins44
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:07 AM
i taught my 6 yo twins the peoper names and about good touch/bad touch. i would rather they know than not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Starshine-bela
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I see no reason to teach the proper names of thejr genitals. I did the same with ds1, he still insists on calling it his we-we lol but he knows.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Yeah why not call them what they are?
RLT2
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:42 AM

My kids know the proper names for body parts, and use them

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Whoever told you that - that it's making your son too sexually aware - is flat out nuts!  You are absolutely doing the right thing by teaching your child the proper names.  Parents who teach their children cutsie nicknames are doing their children a HUGE disservice.

Keep up the good work!

staci328
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM

My mom was always very open with me when I asked questions but she always explained it in a way that I would understand (age appropriate) because of that as I got older I felt 100% comfortable talking to her about anything..still do. I have talked to my boys about their private parts and that no one should ever touch them...even their doctor talked to them about that, which i thought was great! they are in school and should know this. I dont know who told u that ur making ur child too sexually aware but since when do we let other parents affect our judgment with how we parent out own children? advice is one thing, use ur own judgment u know whats best for ur child. I am sorry u went through that as a child but ur a good mother to want to protect ur child!

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Quoting January1964:

No, you're good. And better off than someone who told their daughter to refer to her vagina as a peach. I read that on here!

Ugh.  I've seen this sort of thing on CM as well and it's so irritating.  Why would anyone want to teach their girl to refer to her vulva as a piece of food?  If they were ever approached by a sexual predator (God forbid) and the predator says something like "Can I try a taste of your cookie?"  I would think it would just be way too confusing for the poor girl.  I mean, it's right to eat food, right?  See where the justification could go?  It's just way to easy for the predator to use it to their own advantage.

Teach the proper names and protect your children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN