Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I call them what they are...making him to sexual aware?

Okay so a back story I was molested as a young child...so I have always taught my son actual names for his body parts (Penis) or a womans (vagina) he knows they are different and for those that judge you can not tell me your child has never walked in on you in the bathroom. ANYWAYS...I have been told because of this I am making my son now 7 too sexual aware....REALLY???

What are thoughts...BASH AWAY!

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Replies (51-60):
wifeynmommie80
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Right I agree, its just body parts so whats the big deal. Unless you actualy bring the sexual aspect into the discussion , its not sexual .

Quoting frndlyfn:

How is that sexually aware?  It is just proper names of body parts.  Those parts have other jobs than just sexual intimacy.

January1964
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Quoting January1964:

No, you're good. And better off than someone who told their daughter to refer to her vagina as a peach. I read that on here!

Ugh.  I've seen this sort of thing on CM as well and it's so irritating.  Why would anyone want to teach their girl to refer to her vulva as a piece of food?  If they were ever approached by a sexual predator (God forbid) and the predator says something like "Can I try a taste of your cookie?"  I would think it would just be way too confusing for the poor girl.  I mean, it's right to eat food, right?  See where the justification could go?  It's just way to easy for the predator to use it to their own advantage.

Teach the proper names and protect your children.

Right, and saying, "he touched my cookie" isn't going to help anyone.

MommaTasha1003
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:47 AM

they are body parts......... wooo! proper names are good.. I taught dd proper names, but she prefers to it her TeeTee..

MommaTasha1003
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I was taught cookie. it was weird. but i never had issues with not knowing people shouldnt touch me there..i understood the difference.. but did think why do i call them the same thing? If anything naming privates a food is coser to sexual than calling it what it is.

My mom said it was so if we where in public she/I would if she said "dont touch your cookie" or if i said "my cookie itches" it wouldnt sound so bad..

My family made me feel like I was weird for teaching proper names. lol.. But DD still calls it her TeeTee, thankfully my mom refering to it as a cookie didnt catch on with dd & my mom finally stopped calling it that to her.

Quoting January1964:

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Quoting January1964:

No, you're good. And better off than someone who told their daughter to refer to her vagina as a peach. I read that on here!

Ugh.  I've seen this sort of thing on CM as well and it's so irritating.  Why would anyone want to teach their girl to refer to her vulva as a piece of food?  If they were ever approached by a sexual predator (God forbid) and the predator says something like "Can I try a taste of your cookie?"  I would think it would just be way too confusing for the poor girl.  I mean, it's right to eat food, right?  See where the justification could go?  It's just way to easy for the predator to use it to their own advantage.

Teach the proper names and protect your children.

Right, and saying, "he touched my cookie" isn't going to help anyone.

January1964
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

I was taught cookie. it was weird. but i never had issues with not knowing people shouldnt touch me there..i understood the difference.. but did think why do i call them the same thing? If anything naming privates a food is coser to sexual than calling it what it is.

My mom said it was so if we where in public she/I would if she said "dont touch your cookie" or if i said "my cookie itches" it wouldnt sound so bad..

My family made me feel like I was weird for teaching proper names. lol.. But DD still calls it her TeeTee, thankfully my mom refering to it as a cookie didnt catch on with dd & my mom finally stopped calling it that to her.

Right, but suppose, god forbid, the kid is molested and says someone touched her cookie. Someone could be weird about it and say that is not enough evidence and say the child is not credible bc they did not use the right term. Ya never know.

imasurvivor
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

eye rolling

And you are being told this by whom???

Those are the appropriate name(s) of a specific body part(s).

Any CPS/DYFS worker or Sexual Abuse Therapist will tell you, "Penis & Vagina" are the right names to use & it is encouraged to teach your children those names so if God forbid, a child is ever abused, there are no discrepancies during an investigation.

You are doing the right thing Mama & by no means is it "sexual"... just proper terminology.

tsk tskAnd shame on anyone who tells you differently.

Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Quoting imasurvivor:

eye rolling

Any CPS/DYFS worker or Sexual Abuse Therapist will tell you, "Penis & Vagina" are the right names to use & it is encouraged to teach your children those names so if God forbid, a child is ever abused, there are no discrepancies during an investigation.

You are doing the right thing Mama & by no means is it "sexual"... just proper terminology.

Just a few people. My DS came to me and said his Penis was hurting him (he had fallen and hit it) the mom at the park beside me gasped and said to him "Lets call it your pee pee or winkie"  Connor looked at her "Pee is wat goes into the toiliet" Then she turns to me "Why is he so sexual aware are you wanting to be a grandmother in 4 years?"

imasurvivor
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Bottom line... you are correct. And "GASP! Mom" needs to get a grip.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting imasurvivor:

eye rolling

Just a few people. My DS came to me and said his Penis was hurting him (he had fallen and hit it) the mom at the park beside me gasped and said to him "Lets call it your pee pee or winkie"  Connor looked at her "Pee is wat goes into the toiliet" Then she turns to me "Why is he so sexual aware are you wanting to be a grandmother in 4 years?"

MayMommy07
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM
I tell DD boys have pee pee's and girls have a private.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
story0702
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I think you are just teaching him the proper names.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)