Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does or Did Your First Grader Have a Boy/GirlFriend?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM
  • 39 Replies

My 6-Year-Old Has a Girlfriend & I'm SO Not Ready for Her

Posted by Mary Fischer

boy in hat and sunglassesLast week, I had one of those moments in parenthood that pretty much every mom absolutely dreads. Yep, my 6-year-old son came home from school with a small piece of paper in his pocket, and lo and behold -- it had a little girl's name on it, along with her phone number.

And at first, I had to laugh a little, because he looked so darn precious when he handed me that piece of paper and told me that (we'll call her Sally) had given him her digits. I figured he'd probably forget all about Sally and her phone number by the next day -- but then the next morning, my heart sunk a little after he did the unthinkable.

Yep, he asked me to write his phone number down on a little piece of paper so he could take it to school and pass it on to Sally, you know, so they can both call each other whenever they feel like it. (Cue the feelings of sheer panic.)

And that's when I realized that my baby boy does, indeed, have his first girlfriend. Even though she really is a nice little girl, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I mean, isn't it way too early for this sort of thing? I vaguely remember having a crush on a boy when I was about his age, but I know for certain that we weren't to the point of calling each other on the phone.

No, I'm not entirely stupid, and I realize there's a chance that my little dude and Sally are just good buddies who want to chit-chat once in a while, but still. He doesn't call any of his other friends on the phone yet, so there must be some sort of puppy love going on with this little girl, right?

I know, I know -- I'm totally overreacting and whatever is going on between little dude and Sally is perfectly innocent and not worth getting all excited about. (At least he's outgoing?)

I guess I'm just not quite ready for Sally to be in the picture quite yet, that's all. (Translation -- I was hoping to remain his one and only love for at least another year or two.)

Does or did your son or daughter have a boyfriend or girlfriend in first grade?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen113000
by Jenna on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM
My son is in first grade right now. He told me his girlfriends name awhile ago. Lol! So cute!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM

My oldest dd is in 1st grade...she will tell you in no uncertain terms that she has no boyfriend...I find it hysterical and tease her constantly about the 6 little boys whose hearts she is currently breaking. She has 3 boys in the 1st grade that refer to her as their GF and she has a few at karate as well...one little boy's parents told me that I needed to bring take their son home with me so I could "train my future SIL"...*giggle snort*...evidently he has written in his "journal" how much he loves my kiddo... another mom told me that her son talks about her all the time and loves her...the one I found really funny was dd's best friend's mom informed me that the Headmaster's son is in love with her..evidently, her BFF found this out and told her mom ( a teacher at their school)...I'm not ready for the teen years with 2 girls. LOL

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

a06z08mama
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this
No. But my DS who is preschool (5 in Mar)has had a girlfriend since preschool last year. The same girl. I am hoping a Cory and Topanga relationship. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM

You definitely have a little heartbreaker on your hands..lol

Quoting mcginnisc:

My oldest dd is in 1st grade...she will tell you in no uncertain terms that she has no boyfriend...I find it hysterical and tease her constantly about the 6 little boys whose hearts she is currently breaking. She has 3 boys in the 1st grade that refer to her as their GF and she has a few at karate as well...one little boy's parents told me that I needed to bring take their son home with me so I could "train my future SIL"...*giggle snort*...evidently he has written in his "journal" how much he loves my kiddo... another mom told me that her son talks about her all the time and loves her...the one I found really funny was dd's best friend's mom informed me that the Headmaster's son is in love with her..evidently, her BFF found this out and told her mom ( a teacher at their school)...I'm not ready for the teen years with 2 girls. LOL

megs2boys
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM

My son has a best friend that is a girl, but he is still completely oblivious to the whole boys like girls stuff, friends are still just friends...thankfully...im not ready!

ETA my Kindergartner on the other hand has several girl friends! Hahaha he's my little ladies man!

countrygirlkat
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM

My oldest is in first grade now and he does not have a girlfriend.  He is friends with both girls and boys but the girls are nothing more then friends. 

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

No, they didn't. They are in 6th, 3rd, and 2nd grades now and none of them have ever had boy/girlfriends.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM

My twin girls (1st grade) are bffs with twin boys.  They play with each other ALL the time.  It's like they are couples. haha

mandyj573
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Def no girlfriend in 1st grade for my son! Last year he was in 2nd grade and a girl asked him to be her boyfriend. He told me that he said no and I believe him. If he comes home with a girls number, it'll likely be the litle tom girl that plays football that he's friends with.

My daughter on the other hand! SMH! A boy kissed her on the school bus going to summer school in Kindergarten. She also told me that a boy was calling her his girlfriend. Sigh! I told her that she's not allowed to be anyone's girlfriend. Thank goodness she only went to that school for summer school!

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM

LOL- my daughter had a fiance! She is in 4th grade now and the same boy is still telling the other kids on the playground he is going to marry my daughter. My daughter is really good friends with him. I tell her to tell the kids that ask her if it is true to say that he is a really good friend and that she doesn't know who she will marry after she graduates from college. The kids usually don't pursue it after that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)