Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Threats to my daughter

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM
  • 59 Replies

Poll

Question: Should we contact the school board?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 100

View Results

Last week, my daughter was threatened by another student. My daughter is in the 4th grade and this other child said he was going to bring a knife to school and kill her the next day. When my daughter told the office staff after school, in front of me, they laughed. One in particular rolled her eyes. And those who heard the boy say it, two students and an ID (she works there), didn't say anything about. I don't think they've even been asked. I've asked the staff about what's being done with no reply. I've even sent an email to the principal, since when I'm there or I call she's busy or in meetings, still with no reply. Since nothing happened, it probably was this boy just getting overly upset, but that still doesn't excuse it. This is a SERIOUS remark, no matter what the situation, and it should be dealt with. But from where I stand now, it seems like NOTHING has been done. My daughter's father says that if the staff and principal won't address the issue, then we need to go to the school board. What do you think?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilysmom8
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah go to the school board, and the news stations!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, go to the school board.

That would not be tolerated at most school districts.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM
5 moms liked this

First I think you need to go file a report with the police. This would be to cover your own butt but also to make sure there is follow up. It's always the kids people think would never do it that do. Better safe than sorry. I would then be writing a litter to the superintendent and school board. If that gets you no where. I would be calling your local tv station. They seem to beable to get the schools to do their job 

Lurion
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Put it in writing to principal and copy the school board. Bet you get a response immediately.

You can't faulth the principal for not dealing with it, if it hasn't  been brought to his/her attention. You have every right to expect a response as to what has been done to deal with this. If you take it directly to the school board, you may put yourself in odds with the principal by going over their head and making them look bad on something they didn't even know about. 

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Exactly this. Make sure you always put everything in writing. A letter or email. It's easy to say I never got a message or you never called, It's harder when you have a copy of it. Make sure you put the date and the dates you called and were ignored.

Quoting Jessiejack:

First I think you need to go file a report with the police. This would be to cover your own butt but also to make sure there is follow up. It's always the kids people think would never do it that do. Better safe than sorry. I would then be writing a litter to the superintendent and school board. If that gets you no where. I would be calling your local tv station. They seem to beable to get the schools to do their jobĀ 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM
2 moms liked this

This - put it in writing, CC the School super, and walk the letter in to the principal and wait as long as needed to get a meeting. Then have the pricipal sign that s/he recieved your letter of complaint.

Quoting Lurion:

Put it in writing to principal and copy the school board. Bet you get a response immediately.

You can't faulth the principal for not dealing with it, if it hasn't  been brought to his/her attention. You have every right to expect a response as to what has been done to deal with this. If you take it directly to the school board, you may put yourself in odds with the principal by going over their head and making them look bad on something they didn't even know about. 

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I would email the principal and cc the school board as well.  I'm not sure how long ago this happened, but it does sometimes take a few days to investigate.  Also remember that what happens, if anything, to the other child isn't your business.  That is between his parents and the school.  Although I do feel that the principal should at least let you know that the matter is being investigated and will be handled.

Jamie1972
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Im with the others definitly fo over the principal. He is not doing his job by not taking this threat serisouly. Last april we moved to a new new. My kids had to start in a new school with only 6 weeks left in the school year. My then 4th grade son was trying to make friends. Well for the first 2 or 3 days he would get threaten by this one boy. Each day he would tell Nik Im going to beat you up, Im going to to take a bat to your head. Finally after 3 time he told me. He tried taking care of it himself, Telling the kid to shutup leave me alone ect ect. So I asked him have you told your teacher or the pronci[pal? Nik said no, he was afraid to tell on him. So I went in and made a complaint. The next day I followed up for 2 days. I finally told them that if nothing is done to stop this bully, which btw is illegal here, I will not only go above your head to the school board but will go to plolce and file charges agaisnt the boy. The principal called the boy into his office and from there Im not sure exactly what happened. But the kid did get suspended for 2 days.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Absolutely.  If the school itself isn't taking this seriously, then yes, by all means go to the board!  This is very serious, because what if that kid wasn't lying........that would be a hit in the groin to the school, now woudln't it. 

I'd honestly be terrified to send my child back after that.

Good luck!  Keep us updatedc on what happens!

corrinacs
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, and this as well!  I think filing a police report.  I don't know what they can do about a "threat" but at least it puts it on thier radar.  They may be able to put some fire on the school's butt/

Quoting Jessiejack:

First I think you need to go file a report with the police. This would be to cover your own butt but also to make sure there is follow up. It's always the kids people think would never do it that do. Better safe than sorry. I would then be writing a litter to the superintendent and school board. If that gets you no where. I would be calling your local tv station. They seem to beable to get the schools to do their job 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN