Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

my kiddo can read!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM
  • 34 Replies
3 moms liked this
He's in kindergarten. It amazes me. He can read!!!
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

why does it amaze you... that is when kids read. lol

IncognitoOne
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM

My Kindergartner can read too....it's just a pain to get him to sit still long enough to do it...lol.

poshkat
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

I just think it's awesome. I love it. I love reading and can't wait until he can read harry potter
megs2boys
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM

My Kinder guy just started reading too, I love it too!

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM

i am not laughing at you, i am laughing because just the other day we were talking about kids & reading and in NY K kids take tests and get letters sent home, basically saying your child "MAY" be gifted.

anyway... one parent in particular went to the special ed director, requested a meeting and said, i would like to know my child didnt get into the gifted program.  she can read all the harry potter books (she was 7 at the time) and she was reading from the age of 2.

and basically in a nice way the director said, she might have read it but does she understand what she read... the mom looked at her like she had 2 heads, and the director said, this is why she isnt in the gifted program.

Quoting poshkat:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

I just think it's awesome. I love it. I love reading and can't wait until he can read harry potter

Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM

That's great!  Yay!  Nice to celebrate those milestones in your kid's life. 

jen113000
by Jenna on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM
That's awesome!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Lol,that's a good reason.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

i am not laughing at you, i am laughing because just the other day we were talking about kids & reading and in NY K kids take tests and get letters sent home, basically saying your child "MAY" be gifted.

anyway... one parent in particular went to the special ed director, requested a meeting and said, i would like to know my child didnt get into the gifted program.  she can read all the harry potter books (she was 7 at the time) and she was reading from the age of 2.

and basically in a nice way the director said, she might have read it but does she understand what she read... the mom looked at her like she had 2 heads, and the director said, this is why she isnt in the gifted program.

Quoting poshkat:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Yay!  What an exciting milestone!

poshkat
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

We are in N.Y. by the end of kinder they have to know 39 sight words, add from 0 to 5 with all different numbers and read small sentences. They bring home a sight words flip book that has the sight words on one side and math on the other. They do state testing every 6 weeks to make sure the teachers are teaching.

I find that most parents don't have any clue as to what their children do at school. They work really hard! I go in once a week for a reading group in his class. I am amazed at what they do in that one hour!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)