Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

my son is a bragger

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM
  • 16 Replies
I have a 6.5 years old son. And there is this thing he does really bother me.He braggs to other kids about what he has. I told him that it is a disgusting thing to do. but if we are in a company of another person or other people Exspecially children he starts up with it and I have to tell him to stop
right the way or he will not have anything to bragg about. He stops right the way.
Yes he has a lot of cool stuff but it's really bothers me when he brags. Me and my sister borne in Hungary Europe. We moved out here when I was 14 . But during our childghood we was very poor. And other kids used to bragg about their toys. And I remember it felt horrible.. I just dont want my boy to make anyone feel like I felt. How would you ladies approach this in a son friendly manner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I would sit down and talk to him prior to going somewhere that the bragging will likely occur.  Remind him that bragging is not acceptable and tell him that you will take whatever he brags about away from him for a week.  Don't remind him at the outing, but if you catch him bragging, take that item for a week as soon as you get home.  He will learn really quickly that bragging isn't the way to go.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Take away what ever he is bragging about for a length of time. Then he can have it back when he learns not to brag. My neice has always done that. It drives me crazy

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM
2 moms liked this

The other ladies have a great idea. You might also want to role-play with him so he can get an idea of how his bragging makes the other kids feel; you pretend to be another kids his age and brag about how you have something that he really wants, then ask him how he felt when you did that.

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you need to talk about why the things he has is special and that not all kids are able to have it like he does so we should treat it as "special" and not brag because it doesn't make other people feel good.  I also think you should talk to him about your experience about not having these things.  I tell my girls about when I was growing up, it was not very often that we can get shoes or clothes whenever we wanted.  If something was broken, we couldn't just go out and get another.....we just didn't get a new one.

If he continues, you should probably take stuff away and have him earn it back by helping others.

Also, I know that you didn't have much and many parents want to give to their kids what they didn't have but ask yourself if giving him "things" is more important than giving him values that are not material items.

poshkat
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
My son does this too. I say the same as you, its rude!!

Btw, my dad was born in Hungary as well as all my grandparents. :D
Star127
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Love all the post, all good ideas :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I would remind him that bragging is an ugly quality to have in their personality.  It is fine to want to show off but dont make others feel bad and offer to share depending on what it is.   This is a hard age since they are really having to learn all the subtleties of interacting with others.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/development/social/brag-proof-your-child/?page=4

Once kids enter elementary school, they're increasingly likely to measure their accomplishments against those of their peers -- and to fall into the habit of bragging. Empathy is your best weapon to control this impulse, since children this age can -- and should -- think about other people's feelings before saying something boastful or insensitive. If your notice your child bragging, take her aside and say, "When you always talk about yourself, it gives your friends the idea that you think you're better than they are. They may not want to hang out with you anymore."

If you catch him saying, "Billy can only read beginner books; I can read level 3 ones," nip that attitude in the bud. Say, "Billy is still learning to read, but he's really good at math."

Try to balance your child's extracurricular activities so they aren't all about winning and losing. Yoga and tae kwon do emphasize skill-building, respect, and self-control, while the Cub Scouts and Brownie troops help teach teamwork. Many parents also find religion classes invaluable for instilling humility and kindness.

If your kids are constantly trying to outdo each other ("I can jump higher than you can" or "I have more Webkinz than you do"), don't sweat it: Competition is part of being a sibling. But you can do things to tone down the one-upmanship. Creating a family newsletter or building a fort in the backyard together will encourage your children to appreciate each other's contributions.

"We do a lot of cooking and art projects," says Mitzi Brettler, a mother of three school-age kids in Newton, New Jersey. "Everyone gets involved, and the kids usually wind up helping each other instead of competing."

Also keep in mind that a major part of being modest is learning to accept your limitations. "You shouldn't always feel you have to protect your child from failures and mistakes," says Dr. Goodman. So when your little ballerina doesn't get to perform a solo in the dance recital, don't make excuses ("The other girl's mom must be friends with the teacher"). Simply give her a hug and let her know you're proud that she did her best in the tryout.

Humility hint: Take your promising athlete to a high school game or your budding pianist to an older child's recital. This will help her realize that as good as she is now, there's plenty of room to work hard and get better.

Momyplease
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM
ladies thank you so much for your advice. I will try them and see what happens. I told him about my child good before and he was sympathetic. So we will see what happen I will let you ladies know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Good luck!  It must be particularily frustrating for you to see him act like this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)