Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Dyslexia? maybe?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
  • 14 Replies

So I think my 6 year old daughter may be dyslexic
Now, I'm not talking about the normal mixing up lowercase B & D, All kids do that but my daughter has a big problem with numbers. She is a very slow reader and stumbles over her words sometimes but thats normal, right? I mean sometimes she writes easy letters backwards like R's and C's.  or is it part of possible dyslexia?
When she reads numbers out loud, like when I ask her what time it is, She reads the digital clock and say its 10:24 instead she says 2:10..she does this with all numbers.
Is this normal kindergarten stuff or should I be concerned? I am nervous because I was dyslexic and I have heard it being genetic is a possibility.

I don't know, Help moms!!

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:11 AM

It's possible. But out of all the things you described the clock thing is the only one that isn't typical for her age. Most six year olds are slow reads. And letter reversals are developmentally normal until 8, even the letters you are describing. 

KRIZZ25
i love my black men ,my rocker dudes but the only ones the love me back are babies ,old mean ..can we meet in the middle .
Yesterday at 5:20 PM
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM
talk to her teacher..u can requst her be tested, its a lot u have to go throw and dont tell ur dd any thing yet .i have Dyslexia.i can answer any questions . 2 of my kid shave it to.
mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Share your concerns with her teacher.  She would be able to put in the request for testing.

If you are dsylexic, then I would mention that to her teacher as well.  And yes it is genetic.

matofour
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:26 AM
What do you mean, by you were dyslexic?

It's not something that goes away.

At six, it's all very common what your daughter is doing. I would talk to the teacher, and see if she has any concerns.
The clock thing is sort of weird, but not really a huge red flag to me.

My daughter is auditory, and visually dyslexic. We noticed issues in kindergarten. But, there were many more signs than letter reversal for her at that age.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkParadox
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:28 AM
It doesn't hurt to have it checked...but my 7 1/2 year old just recently stopped doing this. So, I don't think it's necessarily abnormal. I was worried too....but she grew out of it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lslk
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM

My DD has this same exact problem. I had her tested for Dyslexia and ADHD. She is not dslexic but is ADHD. After putting her on meds she is doing so much better, I am really amazed by the difference. I would suggest having her tested for both. Good luck!

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM

My dd did this in K too. She has outgrown it. She does sometimes write letters backwards, but that is probably b/c she is a lefty.

MsLogansMommy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM

how do they test for dyslexia because i have put in a request for my dd to be tested not only does she read backwards and mix up letters and numbers but other odd behavior like she will write the work "it" and it will be spelled correctly but she writes the "t" first and then goes back and puts the "i" in the correct place so the word is spelled correct although she wrote it wrong if that makes sense. and her name Logan she will write L-O-G than a space and put the N then she will go back and put the A where it goes

Quoting Lslk:

My DD has this same exact problem. I had her tested for Dyslexia and ADHD. She is not dslexic but is ADHD. After putting her on meds she is doing so much better, I am really amazed by the difference. I would suggest having her tested for both. Good luck!

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Is your daughter in kindergarten or 1st grade?  That makes a huge difference IMO.  If she is in kindy, this all sounds normal.  If she is in 1st grade, not as much.  DD is 6.5 years old and in 1st grade.  Although she reversed b/d and 3's in writing a lot, she has recently corrected the b/d issue.  She does not read slowly at all, although she is a strong reader for her age.  Clocks she is fine on. 

What does your DD's teacher say?  I am not sure they can test for dyslexia quite that early, but it would be good to get the teachers perspective and have it noted in her file so next year's teacher can watch for it.  If she is in 1st grade, I would persue it more aggressively.

Lslk
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I went through the school. They did a learning disability test which included dyslexia. If you go outside the school it will cost quite a bit of money. Be prepared to fight with the school though. I fought with our school for my DD's entire first year of school. I ended up having to go to the Superintendent. You will probable have to outright say "I want a learning disability test done now!"  My school does not do ADHD testing so I had to go to an outside source for that. I found out my DD was ADHD before I found out that she did not have a learning disability. She was doing the exact same thing that your DD is doing. I was actually surprised she had ADHD. Like you, I thought for sure she had a learning disability and specifically dyslexia. I was even more surprised that they found she was ADHD and not ADD. I really don't consider my DD to be hyper but that could be because I am used to how she is. It cost me $550 for the ADHD testing. It took 4 sessions and they used the KBIT-2 and the Gordon Diagnostic System to test her. When the testing was complete they came back and told me that there was NO question she is ADHD.

I know in my State that when the school has it in writing to do the learning disability test, they only have a few months to get the testing started. If they don't do it with in the time frame then they are breaking the law. I was also told that dyslexia has many different forms and the learning disability test can test for that and others.

My DD was tested for both when she was 6. She was having a huge problem in school and all the school wanted to do was hold her back because "she was immature" which is NOT an excuse to me. She is 7 and in 2nd grade now and doing soooo much better.

I hope this helps!

Quoting MsLogansMommy:

how do they test for dyslexia because i have put in a request for my dd to be tested not only does she read backwards and mix up letters and numbers but other odd behavior like she will write the work "it" and it will be spelled correctly but she writes the "t" first and then goes back and puts the "i" in the correct place so the word is spelled correct although she wrote it wrong if that makes sense. and her name Logan she will write L-O-G than a space and put the N then she will go back and put the A where it goes

Quoting Lslk:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)