Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

ADD medicine

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 13 Replies

We decided to try the medication for my son who was just recently diagnosed with ADD.  Hubby thinks that he is more emotional since starting.  Does anyone know if this is a side effect?  He also seems more clingy.  Though I do think it's working with the focusing part because on Sunday we had a church lunch meeting and he did a very good job sitting through it.  Oh, we started him on Saturday.

family in the van   Mom of four

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lslk
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM

My DD was diagonosed with ADHD last summer. We have changed her med's twice. The first med gave her a horrible attitude and she never ate. The med she is on now is working very well for her. You may just have to change meds. Talk to your Doc about it. Sometimes it takes awhile to get the right one.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I don't remember ds1 being more emotional when he was on his 1st ADHD med, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a possible side effect. He hasn't been any more emotional than normal on his current med, either (he maxed out the dosage on his first one).

Most AHDH meds come w/ some literature about side effects. If your ds's didn't, you can ask the pharmacist about it. If it becomes an issue, talk to his dr. about it- a change in meds might be needed.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Sadly, it can take awhile to find the right med and dosage. Since it's only been a few days, I would wait until Saturday when you've a full week to see how it affects him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

It takes about a month before their bodies get used to and regulate on the medication so whenever, starting a new med you have to give it at least a month.

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Meds are really a trial and error type of process. If you don't feel it's working then talk to your doctor. There are many side effects associated with meds.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM

First off, read the literature that should have come with the meds.  If you didn't get it, talk to the pharmacist.  Side effects are listed in this literature along with a lot of other information that you will need to know.

Secondly, you need to give it at least a week to determine if the meds are working for your child or not.  Finding right dose and right medicine often take some time, so you need to be patient and not expect everything to work immediately.

OHgirlinCA
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM

My son was moodier and had a short fuse on one type of medication but was fine after his doctor switched him to a different type.  Talk to your doctor about what you're observing.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Same here. It took 4 meds before we got one that works. One of the meds caused my son to cry all day for no reason. After 3 days I called and had them change if.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

My son was moodier and had a short fuse on one type of medication but was fine after his doctor switched him to a different type.  Talk to your doctor about what you're observing.

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM

my pre-k daughter just started last week... is doing pretty well, but is a little more emotional and clingy... she is also sleeping a little more (a good thing!).  appetite decreased as well, but still eating plenty...

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM

This

Quoting steelcrazy:

First off, read the literature that should have come with the meds.  If you didn't get it, talk to the pharmacist.  Side effects are listed in this literature along with a lot of other information that you will need to know.

Secondly, you need to give it at least a week to determine if the meds are working for your child or not.  Finding right dose and right medicine often take some time, so you need to be patient and not expect everything to work immediately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)