Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Ultimate BigFoot hunt

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Jen
  • 12 Replies

My children believe that there is a BigFoot in our woods. They are 11, 9 and 4. I have promised them a hunt. I want to make it fun! Like a nature hunt too. What kind of fun items could I use? I need ideas ladies and I know some of you are really awesome with this sort of stuff. Thank you in advance.

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM

It would take some setup the day before but...

They do a "wampus cat" hike at one ofthe boy scout summer camps we go to - they super glued reflectors to look like animal eye in the trees so you do a compass hike at nightand thy peek out at you... you could get scraps of that fur type fabric from Joanns and put it on come bushes or the ground where bigfoot "shed"/

Can you, ordo you have soemone that could make you some giant wooden "feet' to walk and leave tracks with?

jaytee
by Jen on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

We are not doing the hunt at night, lol! I am a scaredy cat! I LOVE the wooden feet idea! I am going to ask my DH if he has any scrap wood that he could use to do that!  Thanks

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

It would take some setup the day before but...

They do a "wampus cat" hike at one ofthe boy scout summer camps we go to - they super glued reflectors to look like animal eye in the trees so you do a compass hike at nightand thy peek out at you... you could get scraps of that fur type fabric from Joanns and put it on come bushes or the ground where bigfoot "shed"/

Can you, ordo you have soemone that could make you some giant wooden "feet' to walk and leave tracks with?

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Zippy bags, tongs to handle any evidence, a flashlight even though it will be day time.  maybe a whistle for each person if they find something and youdont want yelling.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM

DS is watching Finding Bigfoot right now... They say loud noises and kid sounds attract big foot.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Zippy bags, tongs to handle any evidence, a flashlight even though it will be day time.  maybe a whistle for each person if they find something and youdont want yelling.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

True I just thought if someone got far away a whistle would be less echoey rather than yelling.  We watched the episode where they used girl scout troop as bait  LOL.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

DS is watching Finding Bigfoot right now... They say loud noises and kid sounds attract big foot.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You could incorporate hiking safety into the outing.

Give each person a whistle to be used in emergency situations or if they get seperated from the group. You blow three blasts, wait, then do three more, and repeat for 3 sets of three...(9 blasts total so counting too!) Three is an internationally  recognised distress number.

Stay together - "hug a tree" aka do NOT move from where you are once you realise you are lost,

Stay on trails OR if in open country stay together but NOT single file (to reduce trampling on the ground)

etc...

Quoting frndlyfn:

True I just thought if someone got far away a whistle would be less echoey rather than yelling.  We watched the episode where they used girl scout troop as bait  LOL.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

You are definitely ready for hiking.  I had forgotten all that stuff.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

You could incorporate hiking safety into the outing.

Give each person a whistle to be used in emergency situations or if they get seperated from the group. You blow three blasts, wait, then do three more, and repeat for 3 sets of three...(9 blasts total so counting too!) Three is an internationally  recognised distress number.

Stay together - "hug a tree" aka do NOT move from where you are once you realise you are lost,

Stay on trails OR if in open country stay together but NOT single file (to reduce trampling on the ground)

etc...

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Haha - I'm a Hiking merit badge counselor and Scoutmaster for Boy scouts and I lead Girl Scout hikes as well.

Quoting frndlyfn:

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM

My kids have nightmares after watching Finding Bigfoot!!

So you kids want to go "squatching".... make some big footprints. Besides that, the "real guys" who are looking never find anything.  Let them howl in the woods and listen to hear something back or twigs breaking.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Hey Jinx - Could you pls PM me some ideas to make a GS hike fun? I have a group of Jrs we are taking on 2 overnights in the next 3 months. Thx!  (Or you could post it to a camping forum in the GS Leaders or Moms groups too).

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Haha - I'm a Hiking merit badge counselor and Scoutmaster for Boy scouts and I lead Girl Scout hikes as well.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)