Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice needed!!

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM
  • 10 Replies
So my sons teacher does kid of the week, usually associated with bdays. They do all kinds of cool stuff including bringing in pics of family and friends... Heres the dilema... He wants to bring in a pic of him feeding his deceased cousin who passed at 4 mnth...this pic means alot to him.. Asked him what he would say about it.. He said "this is logan, he died on my birthday" well i know this means something to him but is this appropriate to allow him to take knowing other 8-9 yr olds will be the audience and havent had the extensive conversations we have had about SIDS and how its a part of our lives? I think its sweet he holds logan so close to his heart, but worried about the other kids and their reaction... Thoughts??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kdgord
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Maybe let him take the picture and have him just say that it is his cousin Logan, no need to explain more or if he feels the need to say more he could just say he passed away instead of died
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM
I would ask the teacher what she thinks. She would be able to assess if the kids can handle it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I would let him take a copy of the picture. you don't want him to lose a treasure.

UpSheRises
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM
I would let him take it. Its important to him and 8 is old enough to understand that people, even babies, die.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I agree with letting him take a copy, you'd hate to lose the original.  By 8 years old, death should be something that they know about.  Then again, my children may have learned about death at an early age since my first 2 babies passed away and we celebrate their birthdays and visit their grave often.

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, its his day, his pic his story. I wouldn't have a problem with it. He's going to tell what he knows from a kids perspective to other kids, do it will be age appropriate.
GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I would ask for the teacher for guidance on this one.  She knows the class the best.  In general I would say let him take it (or a copy).  Perhaps this is his way of working through it.

fullofhope1
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't disagree with anyone but you really should contact the teacher first to make sure she's aware. It's respectable too :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by Janita on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I agreed and also agree if you decide to let your son take the picture make a copy.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I would ask the teacher what she thinks. She would be able to assess if the kids can handle it.

Jazmyn1
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:11 AM
I wouldnt take that a way from him but as someone else said maybe just have him say its his cousin and leave it at that. I do feel kids that age unfortunately understand though
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)