Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Should I be proud or upset? **UPDATE**

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:10 AM
  • 118 Replies

Today I got a note from the teacher saying, "punched child in stomached because child took his lunch card." when I read that I stared laughing. I did speak with him and told him while I'm proud of him for standing up for himself next time he should inform a grown-up. When I was little I was taught that if some one messes with you or picks on you to "give them hell" while I never told my son that to me another person taking his lunch card is the equivilat of them taking his lunch money. I know the other child couldn't use it but also why did the kid take it from my DS in the first place?

**UPDATE**Okay first of all I read the posts and I saw alot of moms are saying I am raising a bully. Okay that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. We do not teach to hit first but if push comes to shove then what else is there to do? I did speak with my son about walking away first and letting a teacher or adult know what was going on. While I was taught to fight back I tell my son ONLY and if the child hits him more than once or pursuse him after he walks away from them. I did not laugh about the note infront of him I was actually in another room when I read the note. When I was my sons age I got picked on and hit quite a bit but never hit back and told the teacher and I was branded a "tattletale". Some of you out there are probably familiar with that term. I was always picked on but because I never EVER did anything about it. I was a constant target all through elementary school up until the day I got beat up because some other kids thought they wouldn't get in trouble for doing it. So yeah I would rather my son NOT experience alot of the same that I went through so excuse me if I am a little proud that my son won't take being bullied laying down. I did speak with the teacher and apparently this child who took my sons card from him has been messing with him at school and the teacher does keep them apart but that particular day the child decided to get out of his place in line to walk over and snatch the card from my son. So really who is the bully? Thank you all for your replys wheather they are supportive or not.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Cruella on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:12 AM
6 moms liked this
I would not be proud. The first course of action should never be voilance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I would be upset.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Madisonsmommy1
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I would not be proud! Next time he needs to tell an adult not use fighting as a way of getting back! Teacher needs to talk with the child that took the lunch card.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't agree that someone taking his lunch card was punch worthy. In a case like that he needs to inform an adult!

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:19 AM
3 moms liked this
Why did the other kid take his lunch card?? Because he's a kid. Kids do stuff like that. It not the end of the world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Quoting Cindy18:

navewife
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Im sorry but I would be proud too....My parents always taught us that if we got in a fight defending ourself that they would defend us till the end...but if we ever swere fighting just to fight or bully hell would have no furry kike my parents. I agree with this.....I tell my kids to try to get an adult when these things happen but if that doesnt work they have every right to protct themself from harm. I also told them to make sure they tell me if an adult is notified but doesnt help...so far my DD has handled many situations without being physical...but at least she knows the option is there if she has to eesort to it
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:30 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Cindy18:

This

I also wouldn't be laughing about it. 

Lslk
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not be proud. If there is a problem the first course of action is to tell the Teacher. If it continues to happen then tell me and i will go to the school. If it still happens then I tell my child to stand up for themselves. To me if the school isn't going to take care of it then the child has every right to stand up for themselves. If this was my child and they did not tell the Teacher before they punched someone for a lunch card then my child should get punished. Yes it is not right that the other child took the lunch card but come on it was just a lunch card and the other child may have been just playing around. I sure as heck wouldn't have been laughing about it either. It was ,after all, just a lunch card. What does he do if someone pushs him down?

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:51 AM
4 moms liked this

I definitely would NOT be proud.  I am all for standing up for yourself if the situation warrants it, but the reaction by your son seems excessive to say the least.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN