Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Lines is abuse but hot sause isnt?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 23 Replies

So this was posted in a group I am in on face book

what did you moms do youe children started to talk back to you. like tells you to (shut up, shshshshs, suck it up princess, and help, don't touch me, leave me alone, i dont want to, i dont have have to, you cant make me, i hate you) its driving me nuts i have asked him to be nice. and told him its not nice to say thing like that. he gets time outs. what else can i do. or is this just a stage kids go through

A few responded saying that they do hotsause or spankings or soap (not soup like I first typed) 

I repiled

I got mine to write lines. Only 4-5 helps with his penpanship and works. "If you say that again you will be writing lines" And we have a lot of talks. Kids act out for a reason. Tired, frustrated. Hot sause is not the way I would go...ever seen the "hot sause mom" on dr phil???

Apparently gettiny my 7 year old to write lines when he misbehaves is abuse but pouring hot sause in your childs mouth isnt? Thoughts!

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM

If my child said half those things to me he would be getting way worse then writing some sentences, he does that everyday for his kidergarten homework. I would never use hot sauce as a punishment though. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM
People are nuts!

Do what works for your child.

How is soup a punishment? LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM

My son is 12 and have never and would put hot sauce in his mouth. I take things away and he is not allowed to go outside and play if he back talks me.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Dd has been writing lines since five. We do time out and the occasional spanking. We only threatened hot sauce for biting nails. Dd hates hot food and we've never had to even think about follow through. I know I couldn't enforcing it, is be to worried she would get it in her eyes. There's always another way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LilliesValley
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I was wondering about the soup too. Do you not cool it down and burn their tongue? Op please clarify.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

People are nuts!

Do what works for your child.

How is soup a punishment? LOL

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Where I live, you can be investigated for doing the hot sauce thing.. Also, I don't see how or why lines would be abuse.. I mean if they were snorting lines rather than writing lines I could see that.. LOL
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Soap is actually considered abuse here in CA.  Hot sauce and lines are not.  My nephews do lines when they get in trouble.

JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Oh and I used to babysit a little girl who got hot sauce when she was in trouble.  Her mom even brought me a bottle.  She had it in her purse, in the car, bottles everywhere!

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Lines are better than the other things since it gives the child something to think about rather than a quick punishment.  The idea of discipline is to teach , not punish the child until the adult is satisfied with the result.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I don't use writing as a form of discipline only because my oldest son had fine motor skills delays and didn't like to write as it was.  I didn't want to make his hatred of writing worse, by forcing it on him as a punishment.  However, I don't find it abusive.  Hot sauce is just plain mean and doesn't accomplish anything other than maybe getting your child to love really spicy things. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN