Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

WWYD If Police Interrogated Your Child Without You?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 21 Replies

Cops Arrest 7-Year-Old Over 'Robbery' of $5

Posted by Jeanne Sager

Child in HandcuffsGet ready for your "people be crazy" story of the day. A 7-year-old was handcuffed by police and charged with robbery over allegedly taking $5 from a classmate after school. Not crazy enough for you? Wilson Reyes was allegedly interrogated for 10 hours over the missing money before he was finally allowed to see his Mommy!

Yeah, that's the part that really got me too. I have a 7-year-old, and there's no way on God's green earth that I'd allow cops to sit her down and have a chat without me present.

The whole over-the-top incident comes out of the Bronx, where a kid apparently dropped $5 on the ground in front of some other little boys. One of them scooped it up, and Wilson got blamed (wrongly, it turned out).

OK, fair enough. These things happen. But you'd expect a principal to call all the kids involved into a room, hash it out, find out who was to blame, and get the money back, right? You wouldn't expect a 7-year-old to be hauled out of class by police and handcuffed.

You especially wouldn't expect this whole thing to go down without his mom being notified. But Wilson spent four hours in custody at the school and another six at the precinct.

When his mom was finally notified and got to the precinct, she says cops initially wouldn't allow her to see her little guy! When she was finally allowed in, a lawsuit against the city alleges she found her 7-year-old handcuffed to a wall.

Yes. She's suing. Wouldn't you?

If my child does something wrong in school, I don't just want to know. I need to know. It's my job, after all, to raise a good, upstanding citizen. I can only do that if I'm fully aware of what she's up to at school.

It's also my job -- and my right -- to be her advocate. She's only 7. She's still figuring out right from wrong, good from bad. Sometimes she makes mistakes. Sometimes she just needs her Mom to be there to help her navigate the scary adult world.

Remember what it was like to be 7? Imagine being accused of doing something you didn't do. My daughter tends to get righteously indignant because, well, she's SEVEN. She'll burst into tears, horrified that she's being called out for something she didn't do. Then she'll get angry and shut down.

I used to worry about her behavior until I talked to other moms. Turns out this is pretty standard 7-year-old behavior. They don't know how to respond to baseless accusations. They're just kids!

They need their parents to act as -- for lack of a better word -- interpreters. We explain to them what's going on, and we explain our kids to the outside world.

Wilson is now out of police custody, and the ridiculous "robbery" charge against the 7-year-old has been dropped. But this ordeal has no doubt changed him forever.

What would you do if cops interrogated your child without you? 

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommynwife26
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I would sue too! Isn't it illegal to interegate a child without a guardian or lawyer present ?

HyperMom38
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM

It happened to my child during the time her grandfather was molesting her.  She told her head-start teacher that she had seen him the previous weekend (her father- my ex- took her to see his pedophile father during his weekend visitation) and they knew there was a restraining order.  They are mandated reporters and by the time I knew anything about it the police had already been there and questioned her (against her will I might add- at 3 years old it must have been mighty scary to have a male police officer pull you out of class for questioning without Mom anywhere to be seen).  I was not happy and they knew it by the time I got done.  They are supposed to be there to protect children- not scare the shit out of them.

HyperMom38
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Umm, that's only on TV from what I have experienced.  The legal system is far less effective than CSI Miami would have us all believe.  Cops do pretty much what they want and so do the judges.

Quoting Mommynwife26:

I would sue too! Isn't it illegal to interegate a child without a guardian or lawyer present ?

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

They are not allowed to. I would be livid if they questioned him without me present.

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I work with police and they have to have the parents at least present (could be in another room, but watching) when they are talking to minors for any reason.

Quoting HyperMom38:

Umm, that's only on TV from what I have experienced.  The legal system is far less effective than CSI Miami would have us all believe.  Cops do pretty much what they want and so do the judges.

Quoting Mommynwife26:

kayla4507
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I would sue too

holland0226
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I would sue the police AND also sue the school for not making me aware of the situation BEFORE she/he was brought down to the precinct!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends on the state laws.

Quoting Mommynwife26:

meglbu
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I saw this on the news today. I was in total disbelief when they said it was a 7 year old! My son is six years old and if his school had him handcuffed and arrested, and then interrogated without me, even for 5 minutes, OMG I couldn't even imagine my reaction. How dare they take that little boy off school grounds AND in handcuffs over $5!!!  I would absolutely make sure that never happened again to another child. How horrific!!!

*~Megan~*

Pretty and Pink Hair Bowtique
www.facebook.com/prettyandpinkhairbowtique
www.poshmark.com/closet/meglbu
periwinkle163
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM

In a circumstance like that I would see in a heartbeat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)