Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cyber school

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM
  • 15 Replies

I'm looking into cyberschool for my 4th grader.  We are having some issues with traditional school that I think can be solved with cyber schooling.  We are considering transferring schools now and seeing how he does with the remainder of the school year in cyber school.  Does anyone have experience with transitioning kids to cyber school, or have any good / bad experiences they can share about cyber school?

Thanks for the replies, I think we've decided to switch to cyber for the rest of the school year and see how it goes while we get some issues worked out and if he finds that he doesn't like it we will switch back to regular school next year.  Now hopefully the school we decided to go with still has spots available!

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

No I have no experience with it. Here is a bump for more responses.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM

We used cyber school for awhile.  I'm assuming you're talking about K12 or Connections, something like that.  It can be really good. The scheduling was a bit too rigid for me, but the teacher support and lesson plans were a great help and resource. I have friends who've used something similiar for years and love it.

Yurixsi
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I use k12 I like it alot they have realy good programs...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
funny_girl3
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Can I ask why you stopped cyber schooling?  Did you put your kids back in traditional school or switch to homeschooling?  Was there anything that really bothered you about cyber school?

Quoting Pukalani79:

We used cyber school for awhile.  I'm assuming you're talking about K12 or Connections, something like that.  It can be really good. The scheduling was a bit too rigid for me, but the teacher support and lesson plans were a great help and resource. I have friends who've used something similiar for years and love it.

funny_girl3
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM

How long have you been using k12?

Quoting Yurixsi:

Yurixsi
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM
For about a year my son likes it more than school.. they go on fieldtrips and can participate in public schools sports

Quoting funny_girl3:

How long have you been using k12?

Quoting Yurixsi:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM
We did K12 with my nephew for a year. He stayed withme since I homeschool my kids. We hated it.

It is a public school so you have to work on their schedule. You must log hours each day and log in to required online webcast classes. If we missed on for a field trip, the EC (education coordinator or assigned teacher flipped her lid..we got yelled at). There isn't the flexbilty allowed by traditional homeschooling. If DS got "stuck" and it took a few days for a lesson, we got chewed out for being behing.

It depends on the local district if they are allowed to participate in public school programs. It isn't allowed here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funny_girl3
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Ok, thanks.  We are going to enroll with a state cyber charter school that seems to be a little more flexible, but I just won't know until we try it.  From what I've read, this school also has an assigned teacher that coordinates the education plan and keeps track of attendance.  I don't think I can homeschool because eventually I will be going back to work, right now I am a SAHM and I plan to stay home for at least another year so now seems like a good time to try and explore our options.  T

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We did K12 with my nephew for a year. He stayed withme since I homeschool my kids. We hated it.

It is a public school so you have to work on their schedule. You must log hours each day and log in to required online webcast classes. If we missed on for a field trip, the EC (education coordinator or assigned teacher flipped her lid..we got yelled at). There isn't the flexbilty allowed by traditional homeschooling. If DS got "stuck" and it took a few days for a lesson, we got chewed out for being behing.

It depends on the local district if they are allowed to participate in public school programs. It isn't allowed here.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I needed a better balance of structure and flexibility.  In Oregon, we don't have a set number of hours to complete every day, however through the cyber school, we were required to do so many.  Some days we do a full day, others not as much - or our schooling is done in the form of music lessons, and volunteer work, more life skills type of learning.  I like the flexibility to do things like that, but it wasn't possible with the cyber school.

I homeschool more traditionally now, although I do use a "boxed curriculum" primarily, Sometimes it's just finding that right balance and what works best for you and your family. When you homeschool, you constantly look for what works, and what works now may not work best down the road.  I would definitely consider cyber school again before I put my kids back into public school.  (I have a daughter with immune problems, so traditional schooling isn't really an option for her at this time)

Quoting funny_girl3:

Can I ask why you stopped cyber schooling?  Did you put your kids back in traditional school or switch to homeschooling?  Was there anything that really bothered you about cyber school?

Quoting Pukalani79:

funny_girl3
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Thanks, you've given me lots to think about.  The cyber school that I am really interested in seems to be flexible, but when I looked online I found that some parents complained that it wasn't rigid enough.  I'm confused about our options.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)