Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Lots of homework in Kindergarten

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:51 AM
  • 51 Replies

Is it normal for kids to have lots of homework in kindergarten now a days? My son has homework every night even on the weekends, and I dont remember ever having homework in kindergarten.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:57 AM

What kind of homework?  DD had reading every night and the occasional worksheet but not too much.  She is in 1st grade now and she has reading journal every night (even weekends) 1-3 sentences about the book she read and a math worksheet for the week on back of reading log i fill out.  This week she had 3 math worksheets due to her not getting things done in class.

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:02 AM

My little guys barely gets any homework.  He brings home a book from the school library once a week and is assigned a reading book by his teacher to read to us once a week and that's pretty much it.  She gives us some suggestions as to activities we can do with out kids to reinforce what they are learning in class.  Every now and then a project is assigned.

I am curious.  What kind of homework is your son doing?

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Around here it depends on the class.  My daughter had occasional homework last year in K.  The class next to hers had it almost nightly.  It only took about 15 minutes or so according to one of the moms but it was nightly.

keljo05
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:32 AM
1 mom liked this
My son has a lot as well. I wouldn't mind if it was only 2 or 3 nights like this, but its all week and some weekends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
biancalina20
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:32 AM
My dd has homework every night. Some weeks more than others...
Usually its a math sheet, a reading sheet or writing words three times each and /or reading a book. My dd is having a hard time reading and when I say hard time, I mean she readys letters and numbers but cant read words at all :(
Teacher has hopes for her goimg to first grade but .... I dont see it... she cant read and I try to show her but she ia so dificult! Dont know what to do ..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyBoha
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
It gets worse. DS is in 4th grade and has 2 hours a night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindsayhoy0612
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:07 AM
My son gets a 5 page packet every week on Tuesdays and has to have it back by monday.... But my niece lives in the next town and she doesn't get any
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aarensmommy
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:09 AM

ds has his sight words everynight 100+ words more added every other day usually. he also has a book that he has to read 2-3stories out of each night. they read the words and stories at school and it is just practice at home to keep him familiar with the words.

mommaslilmen
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I guess it depends on what the work they are doing. My son has a calender sent home at the beginning of the month with something to do every night. The first couple months were lots of very simple things and more of doing things with family type stuff (read a bedtime story, help with laundry) and a few practice writting your name type things. Now that we are in January the calender has become a bit more added stuff. He has a couple word problems he needs to draw out and working on sight words more.

megs2boys
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:25 AM

My son gets a homework packet on Mondays and he has the week to complete it and return it the following Monday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN