Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 4th grader is struggling in math

Posted by   + Show Post
I need help. My daughter isstruggling with her multiplication . Now she's failing with division. It's a very long story but I am working on getting her tested with a behavioral therapist but need something else done in the meantime. does anyone have any good websites, techniques or study skills I can teach her? she sits at the table and works hard it seems but something else needs to happen.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Replies (11-20):
1234abcd4321
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

if she doesn't have her basic multiplication tables memorized, it will be hard for her to apply them to more challening multiplication problems. i would start there. have her make flashcards and study them and you can quiz her. as she demonstrates success with certain easy ones, eliminate them from the stack and keep going. quiz her once a day or so until she knows them all like the back of her hand.

this will also help with division. if she doesn't know that 7*8=58, how is she supposed to know what 56/7=.. kwim? good luck!

eta - lol, i swear i meant 7*8=56!

1234abcd4321
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

i googled and found this site with interactive flashcards. she may find this more fun than paper flashcards.. but you should probably still sit with her daily while she practices just to stay involved and show your support. good luck!!

http://www.multiplication.com/games/play/quick-flash-ii

QueenCreole313
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
KhanAcademy is awesome. You Tube has videos. So you know what time of learner your daughter is? My son is very visual.
bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM

dd has always struggled with math...I made flash cards, bought workbooks, and downloaded apps...It helped her a lot...www.softschools.com is a neat site....An app called. flashtopass is reallyyy good...Best of all its free..goodluck

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Sorry I don't have any tricks.  I just advised my kids to memorize them.

calimom1123
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:49 PM
My 8yo dd is in 4th grade too. Whenever she needs help with math I usually find things on youtube. In 3rd grade they had to write the times tables everyday for homework. Like one day it would be the 8's table to 12,then another day the 9's. They memorized them all. It helps to keep drilling. Shes started multiplying and dividing fractions now so its very important she knows her times tables.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sonshining
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Use multiplication flash cards. Only a few numbers at a time. So she doesn't get bored, frustrated or restless. Also a good online program and game called timez attack (spelled that way) is a great learing tool.

mandarose
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM
That is a great idea. Thank you

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

How is she struggling? Does she understand the concept but just doesn't have the facts memorised? or does she need to go backand "understand" it?

We did something similar to what Steel mentioned but with MnMs so her reward forthe day was getting to eat them at the end of the lesson.

For facts practice:

Mathblaster.com - it's free

MathUsee.com  has free drill activities

We als oplay "math war" with a deck of cards.  1-10 are their face value. Queens = 0, Jacks = 11, Kings = 12 (I used a fine tip sharpie to write the number for J, Q, K on our first deck, now they can do it with any) You lay the cards down at the same time just like regular war but the first person to multiply the two numbers, and get it right, wins the cards. So if I toss a 3 and you toss a Q that is 3x0 and first to call it gets them.

mandarose
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM
That's what I did. I downloaded a bunch of apps for many ipad and I'm going to do it to her meep.

Quoting bizkit_fanky:

dd has always struggled with math...I made flash cards, bought workbooks, and downloaded apps...It helped her a lot...www.softschools.com is a neat site....An app called. flashtopass is reallyyy good...Best of all its free..goodluck

Christine0813
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Tutor?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)