Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Before Thanksgiving, really?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM
  • 36 Replies

My DD is in first grade.  Her teacher has a large envelope(about 11 x 14) for work that was given during the school day and was not finished.  The students work on it when they have extra time in class.  When they can't get it done during the day, the teacher will send it home.  

DD has gotten hers sent home a few times.  In the past it was not too much to do and most pages only need 5-10 minutes to finish(some needed more and some needed less).  Today my DD brought it home today with the teacher saying to do it ASAP.  It was almost overstuffed,  I was looking thru it while DD was doing today's homework.  About half of it has to do with Thanksgiving and Christmas!  The teacher could not have sent that work home over the Christmas break?  Instead my DD has about a couple hours of work to do now.  

And wouldn't it make more sense to send it home on Friday when the kids can do a bit at a time and not all in one evening?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2twinboyz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM

wow seriously that is messed up. Usually my kids get stuff home they didn't finish that night. I would say the latest over the weekend. I would be concerned about why they are not getting to finsih during the day.

anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be (just my opinion) having the poor child do some tonight, but holding the rest until the weekend anyway.  That was unprofessional of the teacher since it was obviously an oversight on her part.  I am a HUGE fan of the saying, "A lack of planning on your part does not mean an emergency for me."

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I'm not sure why she would feel the need to hold onto unfinished class work for so long.  At this point is in pretty much a moot point to have her finish it since they have long since moved on to other topics.

I would have her work on it a bit tonight and continue to work on it over the weekend.  ASAP doesn't mean that it has to be back tomorrow.  It literally means As Soon As Possible, and I'm sure that the teacher doesn't think that it is possible to have it all done by tomorrow.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

ASAP would mean that dd would do 1-2 sheets a night.   I do not understand holding on to that atuff either since the grading period for that work is probably over by now.  We had 2 sheets for dd (1st grade) to catch up on and teacher said we could work on it when we had time.  She did a sheet a night and turned it in as it was done.

nova.mommy
by Kristi on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM

It is my DD's fault for it not getting done.  She is at times more concerned with talking to her neighbor, takes way to long coloring(because she likes it), looks out the window.  It is only occasionally and not because of a medical issue.  I am not having her do it all tonight, but I was venting about the 'ASAP'.

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

wow seriously that is messed up. Usually my kids get stuff home they didn't finish that night. I would say the latest over the weekend. I would be concerned about why they are not getting to finsih during the day.

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Wait for the weekend. I'll be damned if my kid is going to spend hours on homework because of poor planning on the teacher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Kristi on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I know ASAP does not mean all tonight, but I was venting.

And she did a bit tonight.  She will also do some tomorrow night and some each day over the weekend.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm not sure why she would feel the need to hold onto unfinished class work for so long.  At this point is in pretty much a moot point to have her finish it since they have long since moved on to other topics.

I would have her work on it a bit tonight and continue to work on it over the weekend.  ASAP doesn't mean that it has to be back tomorrow.  It literally means As Soon As Possible, and I'm sure that the teacher doesn't think that it is possible to have it all done by tomorrow.

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM

It doesn't make sense, but she probably realizes it's old and that is why she wants it done ASAP. Just do what you can over the weekend and send it back on Monday.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I agree with having her work on it over a period of time.  I would also contact the teacher to find out why its coming home this late. It may be more of a curiousity thing, but I would want to know what caused the delay in getting it home.

Marge2624
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a daughter with similiar problems (not focused, staring off, socializing), but I have never had a teacher wait months to address the issue and send it all home at once.  I would contact the teacher and see if there is a reason for her holding back on sending this home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN