Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

sports

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 22 Replies

hi everyone my son is in 3rd grade and want to play soccer this summer but he's failing all his classes in school,they say if he don't bring his grades up he will be held up i told him that and he would not go to 4th grade next year with his friends it's like it goes though one ear and out the other...i do not want him to fail but if that what it takes..do you think i should let him play soccer this summer if he fails everythinghugs 

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kcdavis11
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I have to say no. We all want our kids to enjoy life and have fun but if it were my kid I would get a tutor for the summer. Even if he doesn't fail everything he is clearly behind. I would get him a tutor and if he brings his grades up then soccer can be a reward. 

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:10 PM
On one hand...no because you need to focus on school but sports may give him that structure and peer influence to do better. Also, if you only focus on catching up on school....you may get resistance from him. Whether people.want to believe it or not, many athletes thrive academically because of sports.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chinosruca
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:28 PM
I say yes. It might help him get focused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bleumonster
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I would get a tutor now and soccer can be a reward if he cooperates and works on bringing up his grades. He would also have to continue with tutoring over the summer to keep doing soccer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I would let him play. It teaches other important skilld like teamwork and it'll help keep him active. I would also get him a tutor.

soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM

If our children are failing, we take privileges away.

family in the van   Mom of four

AleaKat
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM
I agree.

Quoting M4LG5:

On one hand...no because you need to focus on school but sports may give him that structure and peer influence to do better. Also, if you only focus on catching up on school....you may get resistance from him. Whether people.want to believe it or not, many athletes thrive academically because of sports.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
story0702
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I would give it a shot . Sports can give a child the disipline to stay focused . It cant hurt to try . Hugs mama . Hang in there.

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM

No if he is failing then there is no activities going on in my house.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Why is he failing 3rd grade? I can't answer your question without knowing more information first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN