Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bullying

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:41 PM
  • 6 Replies

As a parent of a child being bullied.  How do I put a stop to this when obviously a zero tolerance policy is not being followed by the school?  This was a physical attack and not just a verbal attack.  I don't want to share details since I am meeting with the school tomorrow.  Does the school press charges or is that something we as parents do?  This could be the child that bullies cry for help also.  I am not sure what that child has going on in their life, but it is never okay to put your hands on someone else.  I am very scared that the school will just say "Kids will be kids".  My son got hurt and I want the situation addressed.

UPDATE: I went to the school today and was told that my child was not at fault for the incident and that they are going to be making some changes to the classroom setup so that they can keep a better eye on things.  The school has strict policies and have a zero tolerance policy.  The child that shoved my son will not be expelled just observed more to make sure nothing else happens.  Thank you for letting me share this experience and not being harsh with me.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you talked to the teachers and principal yet about what is going to happen?  That is your first step to find out how to fix the bullying.

krazykiddles
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I am going to tomorrow morning with my husband.  I just don't want to say the wrong thing and have the child that bullied not face the consequences.  I also worry that my son will get bullied worse if this child gets in trouble.  I really hope this child that bullies doesn't have something terribly wrong in his home life.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have you talked to the teachers and principal yet about what is going to happen?  That is your first step to find out how to fix the bullying.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Bring your complaint and requests in writing. Make notes ahead of time of questions you want to ask so you don't get side-tracked. Outline your suggestions on preventing a repeat and how DS should handle it.

Know that they shouldn't tell you anything about the other child's homelife or punishment. That is all confidential.

A child's homelife doesn't mean squat. IMO...crappy homelife or not the kid needs to behave himself. Its no excus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krazykiddles
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:36 AM
I don't want to know details of the homelife. I just hope it is not a bad one. You are right it shouldn't matter what is going on at home.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Bring your complaint and requests in writing. Make notes ahead of time of questions you want to ask so you don't get side-tracked. Outline your suggestions on preventing a repeat and how DS should handle it.

Know that they shouldn't tell you anything about the other child's homelife or punishment. That is all confidential.

A child's homelife doesn't mean squat. IMO...crappy homelife or not the kid needs to behave himself. Its no excus.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Bump

thebailiffs
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I Am a teacher and travel to many different schools and also have a first grader who doesn't attend in the district I work in.  

It is my opinion that bulling starts from one incidence and gets worse. I really think that there are two sides to the story about how it starts. My son came home recently and said he was being bullied. When all the details came out, my son was at PE playing a game with bean bags. My son throw one to a friend and it hit another kid. This kid got pissed off and told my son he would see him at recess. At recess my son was kicked/hit in the face.He was not really hunt, no blood or scratches.  There was a third kids who saw all of this, this is how I know all of these details. Once the details came out, with my son did not tell us about the bean bag he threw,  we then explained he was not being bullied. 

After talking about  it as a family and after getting all the details we decided that my son was going to apoligize to the kid for throwing the bean bag and hitting the kid. We also agreed that we were going to try to set up some time outside of school to get these two boys to play. When I arrived at school to talk to the boy with my son, to make sure my son said sorry, the boy immediately ( my son's teacher was watching this whole thing) apologized.  We have not had a chance to invite the kid over, but I know that the steps we took made a HUGE difference. My son is two belts away from a black belt in TaeKwanDo and I could really seeing this situation spiraling out of control. 

To handle this situation this way took a lot a maturity on our parts, since our son was the one kicked. I learned a lot about getting the whole truth and not thinking " oh my poor son" becuase my son, even though he didn't mean to hit him with a bean bag first. 

I guess the moral to my story is try to stop it before it goes on.  See if you can get the kids together and resolve it so your son doesn't have to go to school with this weight on his shoulders everyday. 

Best of luck with your situation. Let us know what happens. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)