Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Karate class for an almost 7 yr. old girl................................

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you ladies think?? My daughter has asked me if she could take karate this year and I am not sure if I should get her enrolled?? She is pretty shy, she has separation anxiety, she is lactose intolerant but she is very tall for her age & she is pretty strong too. Have any of you had your girls this age in karate, how did it work out?? I would Love any stories or advice you ladies might have!   Thanks~

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Replies (31-32):
MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Of course you should sign her up if that's what she wants.  I will tell you that BOTH my ds and dd do karate. Their sensei is very strict and really pushes them to be their best and keep going and he warned me that in the beg. there's always a period where they want to quit b/c it takes a real commitment and b/c it can get a little hard but that if we push through it they fall in love... and boy is that true.  For my son especially but for my dd as well.  It has helped her learn perseverance (her weakness) and flexibility.  She's not as "die hard into it" as her brother but she is devodevoted.  My dd is 7.5 and my ds is 9. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Definitely! My DD started around 7yo and did it for about 1 1/2 years and enjoyed it. She learned some useful skills and gained a lot of self~confidence. She decided to try gymnastics and they were impressed with her balance and flexability for a beginner. It came from karate.

This...
Beware of long~term contracts....
Have her do a few trial lessons. Our dojo gives 3 free lessons.
Be sure belts aren't just given. No "show up 12 times, and get a stripe" @@
Make sure the instructors are fair and respectfulof the kids and teach the mentality of "karate is so you DON'T have to fight"

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Also, most martial arts places will allow a free class. Ask about it.

also look that the place you go to doesn't advance them after a certain number of classes.. they need to learn the skill well and test in advance. And be careful about them trying to lock you into a year long contract, paid in advance. If your daughter stops liking it after a few months, you still have the rest of the yr or lose what you paid.

butterflycircle
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM

That is the exact age we put our daughter in karate last summer. She liked it but ended up wanting to quit and we had to force her into some of her classes b/c she didn't want to go. She liked it while she was there most of the time though. 

Of course our daughters are two different people. My daughter is pretty independant but she is shy around other adults. She does well going to school and being watched by family. School was something that is a love hate relationship with her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN