Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Karate class for an almost 7 yr. old girl................................

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you ladies think?? My daughter has asked me if she could take karate this year and I am not sure if I should get her enrolled?? She is pretty shy, she has separation anxiety, she is lactose intolerant but she is very tall for her age & she is pretty strong too. Have any of you had your girls this age in karate, how did it work out?? I would Love any stories or advice you ladies might have!   Thanks~

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Replies (11-20):
3_girls_86
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM
I think it's a good idea. I'm going to get my oldest into it soon. She's 7.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Cant resist .. The little ones are TOO cute! :) Here's is DD's yellow belt photo ..

and one of the four of us..

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I say go for it.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM

You should train too! Go or it now!

I didn't start karate until I wasa 35 and I love it...Now I've beentraining for almost 3 years and it's GREAT! Not only a total body workout but I'velearned a ton of self-defense moves and USED them to get away from a dog that attacked DD and I while out walking.

Quoting angelyuna20:

I'm all for it. I wanted to when I was that age but my parents never did and I regret their decision. I've been looking to sign my DS up and if DD is interested when she's old enough I'd sign her up. Karate teaches more than just self defense, it also teaches discipline and self confidence. it might be just the right thing for her.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

My 4 year old daughter is in Tae Kwan Do... she started in the tot class (3-4 year olds), and was so good, they moved her up to the junior class (5-11) just 4 months later.  It has done wonders for her self confidence and self control. 

Martial Arts really aren't about strength, it really is discipline and self control.  Both my younger kids are in it and doing great.  And... it is fun...

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM

My oldest dd is 7. She started taking Karate when she was 4 years old. Karate has taught her self discipline, respect ( which she was always respectful, but she has grown more in this aspect), confidence, balance, flexibility, and super strength. LOL 

She is a red belt and last night she and I were sparring ( keep in mind, I have never taken Martial Arts) and she kicked me so hard, my leg buckled. This girl is tough! They call her Tiger Lilly at the Dojo and she will not allow anyone else to call her that except for her Senseis. 

She has to go to at least 2 classses per week. At her Dojo, they require 7 classes to test for 1 stripe, 13 classes for the 2nd stripe and 23 classes for a 3rd stripe. If they pass all three stripes, they earn a new belt. There is a $25 belt fee for every new belt earned. In 3 years, we have spent approximately $5K...she should be a Black Belt within 2 years when she is 9. ( if she can pass the 4 hour test)

Honestly, I think there is so much to be gained by learning Martial Arts. My dd loves it. My youngest can't decide between Karate and Gymnastics... I prefer Karate, but she is starting to really push for Gymnastics...

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

rosekit
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM

My daughter has been in karate since she was 3, she's 7 now. She loves it. At first she didn't want to do it, but I pushed her and I am so glad I did. Karate teaches her how to control her body, it's given her huge amounts of confidence, it's taught her the power of dedication and she's fit and has something to do that involves physical activity. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

They are both great sports. As I mentioned, my DD has done both and they really compliment eachother.

We have one girl in our dojo who does both team gymnastics and is a green belt. Our belt system is very different that what yours does. We don't do "stripes. The "show up and test" thing really bothers me.

It takes, on average, one year per belt in Okinawa-te. It's nearly impossible to have a child black belt. They don't have the maturity the responsibility requires- IMO. Even if she continues at the pace she is on, she couldn't be a Black belt before about age 15 and would be the youngest ever in OK-TE.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Honestly, I think there is so much to be gained by learning Martial Arts. My dd loves it. My youngest can't decide between Karate and Gymnastics... I prefer Karate, but she is starting to really push for Gymnastics...

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

mhaney03
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM
My 9 year old has been in since she was 7
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

They are both great sports. As I mentioned, my DD has done both and they really compliment eachother.

We have one girl in our dojo who does both team gymnastics and is a green belt. Our belt system is very different that what yours does. We don't do "stripes. The "show up and test" thing really bothers me.

It takes, on average, one year per belt in Okinawa-te. It's nearly impossible to have a child black belt. They don't have the maturity the responsibility requires- IMO. Even if she continues at the pace she is on, she couldn't be a Black belt before about age 15 and would be the youngest ever in OK-TE.

Quoting mcginnisc:

I prefer Karate because I believe girls should know self defense. Selfishly, we very busy and trying to fit gymnastics into our schedule is going to be difficult as the classes don't mesh well with the days for Karate and my Church responsibilities.. I'd rather spend 2 hours at the Dojo ( 2 minutes from my house) than attempt to shuttle all over the county in a time crunch. 

They don't allow kids at our Dojo until they are 4. They have to take 3 classes before they can earn a white belt and join an actual class with other kids... The system for belts is as follows for the littles: individual classes, white belt, white/gold, gold, gold/orange, orange, orange/green, green/purple, purple, purple/blue, blue, blue/red, red- which there are different "degrees" of red belt, then brown of which there are different degrees, and the of course Black belt. 

They don't just "show up and test". They have to attend 2 or more 45 minute classes per week ( she usually goes 4 days per week) and have to have a certain amount of classes and knowledge before they test. If they are not "on track" with their self defense, punches, kicks,sparring for points and forms...too bad, you don't pass. Lilly seems to have an affinity for Karate as she has passed every test, although not many do so. The Sensei has pulled me aside several times and told me that she is one of the best he has ever seen....and the tiniest..( understandably since she is adopted from China) 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)