Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Karate class for an almost 7 yr. old girl................................

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you ladies think?? My daughter has asked me if she could take karate this year and I am not sure if I should get her enrolled?? She is pretty shy, she has separation anxiety, she is lactose intolerant but she is very tall for her age & she is pretty strong too. Have any of you had your girls this age in karate, how did it work out?? I would Love any stories or advice you ladies might have!   Thanks~

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM

All for it...dd tried it when she was 6....She just wanted to kick around with a lil girl she knew....We stopped fter like 2 weeks...They could do that for free at recess at school

Seriously868
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Next school year dd will be 7 and I am putting her in it.  I think learning self defense is a great idea.  My son will be 5 next school year and I am starting him probably this summer.

Precious333
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Do it!!!! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM
I dont let my boys do katate on anyone. Usually thr instructer will say the same to the kids.

Quoting bizkit_fanky:

All for it...dd tried it when she was 6....She just wanted to kick around with a lil girl she knew....We stopped fter like 2 weeks...They could do that for free at recess at school

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Larisa72
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Both my children are in karate.  My son started at 4 because it was the one thing we found that had been proven to help children with ADHD (we didn't know at the time that he actually had Asperger's in addition to the ADHD).  He will be 13 in April.  Our daughter turned 9 in October and started karate at 7 - she had tried dance and even boxing prior to deciding she wanted to do karate.  She loves it and is currently a brown belt (next belt is black belt candidate, then Junior Black Belt)....so in 2 years she's achieved most of the available belts in the children's classes.  Like her brother, she's a little shy, but she's a pretty tough kid (the reason she stopped with boxing was because she broke her nose on the school playground and was afraid that she'd break it again if somebody threw a punch at her - there's more control in the karate classes).  I'd see if there was a way you could do a trial run - our school will allow 2 weeks of classes for free before you sign a contract

kayla4507
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM

My neice is 4 and she is taking martial arts lessons twice a week. She loves it. but they also dont teach moves to start off with. Its about safety and knowing when to use it. They do some moves, but nothing major. 

SeanandNoahsmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

My boys started TWD when they were 4, and are still doing great. I would certainly give your daughter a chance to try it out; it is a great confidence builder. My youngest will be 7 in April, btw.

angelyuna20
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Only thing in the way right now is cost. SO just got layed off so money's a bit tight but when things start looking up again I might sign me and the kiddos up lol.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

You should train too! Go or it now!

I didn't start karate until I wasa 35 and I love it...Now I've beentraining for almost 3 years and it's GREAT! Not only a total body workout but I'velearned a ton of self-defense moves and USED them to get away from a dog that attacked DD and I while out walking.

Quoting angelyuna20:

I'm all for it. I wanted to when I was that age but my parents never did and I regret their decision. I've been looking to sign my DS up and if DD is interested when she's old enough I'd sign her up. Karate teaches more than just self defense, it also teaches discipline and self confidence. it might be just the right thing for her.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Go for it!

cjsbmom
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I think it would be good for her.

My son, who turned 7 in August, started taking kung fu when he was 5. He has aspergers. It has been good for him. He's learned to be more focused, to listen better, and it's an awesome outlet for his high energy levels.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)