Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

the dreaded chores

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

For the most part, SS's main chores are keeping his room clean, picking up after himself, and replacing the toilet paper when it runs out. Normally, his room isn't very messy, but as soon as we tell him it's time to clean he gets upset about ‘how much time it will take' and ‘how hard it will be'. He usually asks for help. The other day, DH said okay and told him that if we helped him clean his room, he had to help us clean the house.  

I couldn't believe it. SS helped strip the beds, sort and fold laundry, dry and put away dishes, make the beds, and wipe down the countertops. It took us a few hours to do a deep clean, but it only took us five minutes on his room. Every time, we tell him it's time to clean, he wants to help us - and then have us help him. I definitely don't mind the help (although it does slow me down a little), but I think it's funny that he chooses a few hours of harder work, instead of just quickly doing his room on his own.

How do you get your children to do their chores? Do you have any tips or tricks to make it fun? What are their ages and what chores do they have? Do you pay them an allowance?  

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
1234abcd4321
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

i just tell them that we're a family and we work as a team; if the house needs to be cleaned, it's everyone's responsibility. no allowance but i do buy them little things here and there. they aren't as rewards for doing chores though.. just for the heck of it really.

my boys are 4.5 and 6. they are responsible for picking up (not just their own things, but whatever needs to be picked up), stripping beds, folding laundry (i'll give them a basket of all bath and hand and face towels), and dusting the woodwork (yds loves that job for some reason lol).

they also have to pack and unpack their backpacks, empty their lunch boxes, scrape and load all of their own dishes in the dishwasher, and keep their shoes and coats put away every day.

i keep my boys busy. they actually are a very big help to me!

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

My kids ages 5-17 have chores. They are responsible for their own messes at around 18 months-2 and start getting basic chores at around three. I think its important for kids to learn responsibility and how to care for a home and for them to contribute to the household, since they are a part of the family. My five year old sons chores are putting away clean dishes three times a week, emptying the bathroom garbages into the big garbage can, wiping down the table after meals and setting it before dinner, feeding the dogs (with supervision), and once a week he sorts and folds laundry. My ten year old brothers (I'm the guardian of my siblings) chores are taking out the trash once a week, takes down a load of laundry once a week (we hang dry), sweeping once a week, mopping once a week, drying the dishes three times a week, and washing windows. My 13 year old sisters chores are washing the dishes three times a week, taking out the trash once a week, doing a load of laundry once a week, takes care of her cat, and sweeps once a week. My 17 year old brother sweeps and mops once a week, takes out the trash once a week, and does a load of laundry once a week, the older two have jobs so they have less chores so they have more time for things that they need to do. They all have to make their beds in the morning and keep their rooms neat. They don't get allowances for their chores. If they don't do their chores, they are sent to sit on their beds with no distractions until they are ready to behave and do them.

rosekit
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM

My oldest is 7, the only one in our family who has chores, since my other kids are too young. She sets and clears the table, dries dishes when I need her to do it, and takes out the recyling. She doesn't get a regular allowance or gift or anything, but she knows if she does her chores and helps out without complaining and without me reminding her, if she wants something, I will almost always get it for her, as long as it's a reasonable request. 

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

During the week, TV (their reward) is not to be turned on until 7pm.  It can only be turned on if their homework and chores are done.  On the weekends, we make it a family thing.  We have a checklist of what needs to be done and then we crank up some Michael Jackson and get it done.  We do not have allowances for chores.  It's their job. 

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Just a thought but it sounds like maybe your SS is willing to help with all the other chores to get help with his because you are doing it as a family.   And that's a good thing.  My kids are kind of the same.  They will groan and moan about doing "their" chores but if I announce it time for family cleaning and we all get to work together there a lot less complaints.  And it actually gets done a lot faster.  Granted my two older ones are teens and they can do a lot without much supervision.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids (Ages 9 & 5) have chores and they can earn up to $5 a week if they do their set chores + whatever we ask them to do or help with throughout the week.

They automatically split their allowance (and any other money they earn/receive) into four jars - 10% Share, 30% Spend, 30% Save 1 (for bigger items they want to buy) and 30% Save 2 (which goes to their bank savings acct each month).

I only buy them their 'needs' - I do not buy their 'wants' - they do that themselves.

I agree with the previous poster, your SS probably enjoys doing chores as a family...my kids tend to smile more when we are all doing something together or when we make a game out of it.

That's awesome that he is such a great helper around the house! =0)

suetoo
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM

We always did all the big and catch-up chores on Sat. morning together. Each dd was responsible for their own laundry, they didn't wash it, they couldn't wear it. And we did a monthly room inspection for minimum safety standard enforcement. I kept baskets next to the stairs for each child, and stuff had to go up. We had a "redeem" bag in the big closet. If anything got nagged about and mom or dad picked it up, it went in the bag. A price had to be paid to earn it back, ie. an extra load of my wash, a $1 of babysitting money, poop scooping, price set by the mom... LOL

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM

My kid's chores are to clean up after themselves and set the table. My DD also likes to dust.

WesternNYmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:32 PM

On days when the house needs to be cleaned the tv, wii, DS games, computer etc. are off until what needs to get done is completed.   I also refuse to let my kids have playdates (either here, or at their friend's house) until their rooms are clean. If their room is messy, no playdates.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN