Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

"Slapped Cheek Syndrome" has struck again....

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter had Fifth Disease back in late Nov (8 years old then), this time it's my son - he's 5.

His looks much worse than my daughter's did and he complains that his legs itch when he gets up in the a.m.

My daughter only had the 'blotchy' look for a day on her face then it appearred on her arms and legs - she never itched and it was gone by the 3rd day.

My son's actually started on his legs 3 days ago and showed up on his arms and face today.  His looks more like a rash with the blotches on his legs and just blotches on his arms & face.

(sigh) 

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Replies (11-18):
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

After 2 miserable failures at IVF, I honestly didn't expect to get pregnant with the 3rd attempt and had already started looking into adoption.  My insurance at that time covered up to 3 fresh cycles so I really only did it because my Dr insisted I take advantage of the fact that my insurance covered it.  Needless to say I was stunned that I got pregnant and it was the same as you, it was a 'barely there'...very touch & go with the numbers in the beginning but she stayed strong.

I left my job to stay home with her and when I went back to work for another company I was surprised that the new insurance covered IVF up to $20,000 allowing $8,000 towards donor costs.  We hadn't planned on ever having another but decided to go for it since it was covered.

Thanks to the very healthy, beautiful eggs of my donor, I was VERY preggers with my 2nd!  LOL  They put 2 perfect embies in and my bloodwork came back so high my Dr thought I was having multiples.  She made me come in several times to double & triple check for an ectopic pregnancy.  But no, it was just the one.  He measured a week ahead the entire pregnancy and he is a wild child but I love him to pieces.

Definitely no plans for a 3rd for us but I think it's wonderful if you do decide to look into adoption.  Such a wonderful gift to a child.

BTW - I LOVE the name Leo! 

Quoting corrinacs:

Indeed, I defintely appreciate both of my sweet hearts :).  Unfortuantely, our insurance didn't pay a lick.  That's why we avoided it with our first since we weren't quite prepared to fork out that money back then.  Like I said, I don't know how he happened LOL.  I guess it was God's way of saying "you passed"...who knows LOL.

But, Leo took a lot of work.  We did 6 cycles of various things.  Finally, on my 6th cycle....the one we thought we had failed....he took :).  Barely, though.  Ending up costing us an arm and a leg though :/.

I don't think we would go that route again, I think our next stop for #3 is adoption.  We don't know if #3 is what we want yet or not LOL.  Leo's only 15 months old, we'd like some time to enjoy life with 2.

TwinMomma122304
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Out of my four kids, only my son has had Fifth Disease...twice.  Once as an infant, and just last November (right before he turned 8).  Thankfully he did not share it with his sisters! And I was absolutely flabbergasted that he got it again, when I thought it was a one-time thing (but if anyone is going to get something more than once when they're not supposed to, it would be my son).

His dr. prescribed allergy meds to help with the itching.  His whole back and arms were covered :(

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I thought I read it was considered something 'different' in smaller children but then again I read so much it's probably all running together.  I DO know the first thing I pulled up when I googled 'red, rosy cheeks' was the Black Plague being the reason behind "Ring Around the Rosie" - talk about one freaked out Mama!  LOL

He hasn't been complaining about itchy legs this afternoon...it's always in the a.m. but his legs look soooo much better today.  I'm hoping that part is done but if not, I might slip him a tad of benedryl in the a.m.  His face was a hot mess tonite - very very red & splotchy but he says it doesn't hurt or itch.  I also noticed that while his arms look better, it appears to be a little splotchy on his chest.  Like your son to be the one to get it twice, it would be my son to get it ten times worse than his sister.  LOL

Thanks for the advice!

Quoting TwinMomma122304:

Out of my four kids, only my son has had Fifth Disease...twice.  Once as an infant, and just last November (right before he turned 8).  Thankfully he did not share it with his sisters! And I was absolutely flabbergasted that he got it again, when I thought it was a one-time thing (but if anyone is going to get something more than once when they're not supposed to, it would be my son).

His dr. prescribed allergy meds to help with the itching.  His whole back and arms were covered :(

corrinacs
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Caden named his brother that :).  We decided to give him some of the reighns to help him adjust to his brother.  And one of them was giving him rights to his name :).  He said "robot" and "dirtbike" LOL.  But after a while he got serious and said Leo.

What a beautiful story you have for the both of yours!  After you fail miserably at ART treatments, you begin to wonder if your body is just that screwed up, so of course when it does indeed happen its almost surreal.

My pregnancy with Leo was barely there.  The numbers were low in the beginning, which indicated ectopic.  They kept looking and there was baby, but apparently I had a large ovulation cyst (normal, its what makes progresterone if you ovulate).  Since we weren't taking my eggs, we used HcG (trigger shots) to ovulate and went from there.

Then I started bleeding heavily.  That tore my heart to peices, I could barely breath to tell my husband what happened.  But, baby was still there and healthy!  Just had a huge subchorionic hemmrage.  After the 3rd or 4th time my husband and I sat through the "miscarriage consult" we were kind of distanced from Leo.  We didn't think he was going to make it.  I bled pretty badly until almost 3rd trimester, and then he wasn't growing right.  I have so many ultrasounds, its insane.  It was a great journey with him.  I have ultrasounds of his egg, him as a yolk/sac growing all the way up to what looks like a baby!  Its really phenominal!  Not very many women get to see that, let alone just have that at home to document it!

We are so blessed he's here, though!  He's the sweetest boy in the world.

Caden is my odler son, he's 5 in Kindergarten.  What about yours?  Names and how old?

Quoting ivf_blessed:

After 2 miserable failures at IVF, I honestly didn't expect to get pregnant with the 3rd attempt and had already started looking into adoption.  My insurance at that time covered up to 3 fresh cycles so I really only did it because my Dr insisted I take advantage of the fact that my insurance covered it.  Needless to say I was stunned that I got pregnant and it was the same as you, it was a 'barely there'...very touch & go with the numbers in the beginning but she stayed strong.

I left my job to stay home with her and when I went back to work for another company I was surprised that the new insurance covered IVF up to $20,000 allowing $8,000 towards donor costs.  We hadn't planned on ever having another but decided to go for it since it was covered.

Thanks to the very healthy, beautiful eggs of my donor, I was VERY preggers with my 2nd!  LOL  They put 2 perfect embies in and my bloodwork came back so high my Dr thought I was having multiples.  She made me come in several times to double & triple check for an ectopic pregnancy.  But no, it was just the one.  He measured a week ahead the entire pregnancy and he is a wild child but I love him to pieces.

Definitely no plans for a 3rd for us but I think it's wonderful if you do decide to look into adoption.  Such a wonderful gift to a child.

Quoting corrinacs:

Indeed, I defintely appreciate both of my sweet hearts :).  Unfortuantely, our insurance didn't pay a lick.  That's why we avoided it with our first since we weren't quite prepared to fork out that money back then.  Like I said, I don't know how he happened LOL.  I guess it was God's way of saying "you passed"...who knows LOL.

But, Leo took a lot of work.  We did 6 cycles of various things.  Finally, on my 6th cycle....the one we thought we had failed....he took :).  Barely, though.  Ending up costing us an arm and a leg though :/.

I don't think we would go that route again, I think our next stop for #3 is adoption.  We don't know if #3 is what we want yet or not LOL.  Leo's only 15 months old, we'd like some time to enjoy life with 2.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Oh WOW - what a story of TTC!  ((HUGS)) to you - I know what an emotional roller coaster all that had to have been for you.  And now you have this beautiful 15 month old Leo!  Although I'm not sure why you didn't go with 'Dirtbike'  LMBO!!

My daughter, Conner, is 9.  (Conner was my maiden name.)  She is extremely shy around adults - I have family members that have never heard her voice - but she can be kinda 'bossy' around other kids.  She is in 3rd grade and actually tried out for her school's Dinner Theatre this year - the 1st year she was eligible to do so.  She has a speaking part (one line) and she will have to speak in front of an auditorium full of adults 3 days in a row next week.  I'm so proud that she even wanted to do this and can't wait for next week!

Jack is 5 and he is "Mr Social" - he's been talking in full sentences since he was 15 months old (his first sentence was "You're so cute" pointing to himself).  He is the polar opposite of his big sister and introduces himself to just about anyone who looks his way.  I constantly meet people that say "Oh YOU'RE Jack's Mom!"  LOL  He wants to either be a Rock Star or a Doctor one day as long as he can "still live with Mommy".  What a nut!

Quoting corrinacs:

Caden named his brother that :).  We decided to give him some of the reighns to help him adjust to his brother.  And one of them was giving him rights to his name :).  He said "robot" and "dirtbike" LOL.  But after a while he got serious and said Leo.

What a beautiful story you have for the both of yours!  After you fail miserably at ART treatments, you begin to wonder if your body is just that screwed up, so of course when it does indeed happen its almost surreal.

My pregnancy with Leo was barely there.  The numbers were low in the beginning, which indicated ectopic.  They kept looking and there was baby, but apparently I had a large ovulation cyst (normal, its what makes progresterone if you ovulate).  Since we weren't taking my eggs, we used HcG (trigger shots) to ovulate and went from there.

Then I started bleeding heavily.  That tore my heart to peices, I could barely breath to tell my husband what happened.  But, baby was still there and healthy!  Just had a huge subchorionic hemmrage.  After the 3rd or 4th time my husband and I sat through the "miscarriage consult" we were kind of distanced from Leo.  We didn't think he was going to make it.  I bled pretty badly until almost 3rd trimester, and then he wasn't growing right.  I have so many ultrasounds, its insane.  It was a great journey with him.  I have ultrasounds of his egg, him as a yolk/sac growing all the way up to what looks like a baby!  Its really phenominal!  Not very many women get to see that, let alone just have that at home to document it!

We are so blessed he's here, though!  He's the sweetest boy in the world.

Caden is my odler son, he's 5 in Kindergarten.  What about yours?  Names and how old?

Quoting ivf_blessed:

Quoting corrinacs:

corrinacs
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM

They sound so awesome!  My kids are hilarious too.  Caden is my social butterfly.  He can go up to anyone and say just about anything and not be afraid.  Unfortunately he also has no boundaries and says some pretty horrible stuff LOL.  Like, he is not shy to tell me my breath stinks.......loudly......in the middle of Target.  That and he will bring up stories "remember that time, mom, we were cyborgs together.  You were making milk and I was using my nebulizer"......loudly.......in the middle of Target LOL.

Leo's 15 months.  He has some words.  I think he only "sentence" is "Bye bye, Dada".   He started saying that before he was a year old.  Other than that, its just words here and there.....and some like "baba" (for bottle).  The thing that gets me with him is how he figures out puzzles so easily.  He figured out his shape sorter ages ago!  Now we are working on peg puzzles.  He puts the shapes in the right spot, but now he has to get the dexterity to turn the shape.  He's a big social butterfly, too.....mainly a flirt.  Sees a woman (any age) from a mile away and works on his smiles and eye bats LOL.

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Sounds like Caden and Jack could be twins or at the very least best friends!  LOL

Jack's Dad is a 'talker' - so he comes by it naturally.  Between the two of them, there is never a moment of peace & quiet around here.  Most days when I leave for work I will drive the entire way without the radio on JUST for 15 minutes of absolute silence.  LOL

That is amazing that Leo can do those things with puzzles at his age.  I work with the one year olds at church and they just like to throw the puzzle pieces around - ha ha!  Sounds like you might have a little genius on your hands.  The flirting with females proves that as well!  I mean what girl can resist a cute kid?!  LOL

Quoting corrinacs:

They sound so awesome!  My kids are hilarious too.  Caden is my social butterfly.  He can go up to anyone and say just about anything and not be afraid.  Unfortunately he also has no boundaries and says some pretty horrible stuff LOL.  Like, he is not shy to tell me my breath stinks.......loudly......in the middle of Target.  That and he will bring up stories "remember that time, mom, we were cyborgs together.  You were making milk and I was using my nebulizer"......loudly.......in the middle of Target LOL.

Leo's 15 months.  He has some words.  I think he only "sentence" is "Bye bye, Dada".   He started saying that before he was a year old.  Other than that, its just words here and there.....and some like "baba" (for bottle).  The thing that gets me with him is how he figures out puzzles so easily.  He figured out his shape sorter ages ago!  Now we are working on peg puzzles.  He puts the shapes in the right spot, but now he has to get the dexterity to turn the shape.  He's a big social butterfly, too.....mainly a flirt.  Sees a woman (any age) from a mile away and works on his smiles and eye bats LOL.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I hope he feels better quickly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)