Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

would you be upset

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
  • 12 Replies
If your after school provider forgot to send a notice home regarding your child receiving an award with an invite to the assembly at school? Ours did this to us this week. I've had an ongoing battle regarding her homework folder. It gets sent home on Mondays and has to be returned on Fridays. I've asked for DD's homework folder, been told they're keeping it so she has something to work on in the afternoons. That's fine, except I started getting it om Thursdays, I had to ask for it, and it wasn't done or was done incorrectly the last several weeks. Had another discussion about sending her homework folder home so I'm not making a mad dash Thursday to get it done. We don't get it back until thursday night, only because we asked, and there was a notice DD is getting an award and the invite to the ceremony at school.since the folder wasn't coming home, we didn't get it until Thursday evening. It was too late for my husband to make arrangements at work to attend. I'm pretty upset about it as it left me scrambling but able to attend, but my husband couldn't go at all. He could have if we'd gotten the notice before last night. Would you be upset?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

That's odd how your afterschool program works.  They have homework time but they are all supposed to put their work back in their backpack because most kids do not finish their homework.  The staff are there to help but they do not dictate who does what homework and such. 

There is absolutely no reason for the afterschool program to keep their academic information at all.

MrsApple
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I would not be okay with them keeping the homework folder at all.It's great that they want her to have something to work on there but they should have her put it back in her backpack when she's done!And then to almost cause you to miss her award ceremony,I'd be pissed.

Lorena
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM
There is no reason That folder should not be sent home. Do you have a separate folder that is taken back a forth everyday for parent/teacher communication?
Allie01
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I wouldn't be happy! I would definitley say something and work together with the teacher to figure out a way to get the homework folder home every night!

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I'd be upset, too. I'd be arranging a time to talk w/ them (calmly) about how you understand they want her to have something to work on, but you need that folder- and all it's contents- to come home every single day.

ninamsi
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I would be upset.  The policy does not make any sense.

babynurse244
by Beth on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM
There apparently is no policy. When I tried to talk to them calmly about it, they tried to blame it on my daughter being careless and "fibbing". I lost it. I know my kid isn't perfect, but when I have repeatedly asked for it, been told they decided to have her leave it at the school area (which is a different location from where we pick up) so she'd have something to work on in the afternoons, I've had to wait for them to get it on Thursdays and I've had to ask for it, I've asked it be sent home and it didn't happen, that's not my daughter's fault. I lost it at that point. There is a communication folder that comes home on Friday and goes back Monday. I have no idea why the notice was in the homework folder on Monday. Her teacher is pretty typically organized. Regardless, if they're wanting to have her do her homework in the afternoons with their help, it seems someone would have seen the note and put it in her backpack or handed it to one of us if they were keeping the folder. I'd assume if an adult was helping her, they'd be looking at her homework before and after to make sure it's done and done correctly. Not to mention making sure any notices made it home in a timely manner.
soymujer
by Mikki on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I would be upset.  Those papers are expected for parents to see, not the babysitter/daycare.  I understand that she wants to keep them busy and all but she should be sure that all papers get put back in.

family in the van   Mom of four

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I wouldn't keep anything at my child's daycare overnight. I would just take the homework folder when I pick up my child. I've never heard of leaving homework folders at daycare. They should be put in the child's backpack when not being worked on and go home with the child at the end of the day.

babynurse244
by Beth on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM

There are 2 places at this afterschool care. One is like a daycare/play area, the other is the school/preschool. DD's kinder is only half day, so she goes to the school part for the afternoon session to do her homework. They take her folder out of her backpack and leave it at the school, and we pick her up at the daycare/play area location, so her homework isnt even available when we pick her up. That had better have stopped today. If it's not in her backpack, some one had better be getting their butt in the car to go get it. No "it's in her cubby" anymore.

Quoting Barabell:

I wouldn't keep anything at my child's daycare overnight. I would just take the homework folder when I pick up my child. I've never heard of leaving homework folders at daycare. They should be put in the child's backpack when not being worked on and go home with the child at the end of the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)