Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I found out why my son isn't being invited to any birthday parties this winter

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 121 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son is in third grade. He's nine.

In the last month there have been three kids from his very small school, all friends of his not only from school but his soccer team, who have had Xbox slumber parties for their birthdays to which he has not been invited.  I was confused and a little hurt for him. Until today when I found out why.

Apparently all the other kids play Xbox online together every evening.  Their favorite games are Black Ops and Call of Duty. My son has an Xbox but doesn't play online and is only allowed rated E games.  Therefore he's not invited to the parties.

I'm stunned. I guess I'm glad he wasn't invited because if I knew he wouldn't be allowed to go and if I didn't know I would be upset if I found out he had played those games.  But mostly I'm shocked that so many 9 year olds are playing those games online.  There are 19 boys in the third grade at his school and 14 of them are at the party happening tonight.  So my son is one of only five boys in the third grade not allowed to do this? It never occurred to me those games were the norm for third graders.

Wow. Am I that far behind the times?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
keeler_s
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM
I have a 3rd grader as well and I wouldn't be and don't allow my children to play those games
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this

It's understandable that he wasn't invited. when you have strict rules, it's the norm to be excluded by those who can do more.

IMO - kids that age shouldn't be plying those games at all. That said, my DH allows the kids to play them and it's not a hill I would die on. (ETA: They started playing them around 6th grade.)

DS's best friend ISNT allowed to play them so he doesn't get invited over when DS wants to play that. They do other things.  what I would do, is have your Ds invite the others over on playdates where they do other things if he wants to have time with these kids.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

periwinkle163
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM

My 3rd grader isn't allowed to play video games like that, but a lot of his peers are, luckily right now the big game at his school is skylanders which is more age appropriate, so he doesn't feel completely left out. I am shocked by how many of his friends have facebook or instagram though, I couldn't imagine letting my kids have one so young.

luvmybug
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM
3 moms liked this
Wow. I think they are a little young to be playing those games. But that is just me. That sucks that your LO is left out but I think it may be a good thing he doesn't go. I wouldn't let my dd play those games either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
young_lv_mom
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:06 PM

This, wow. My husband plays those games but will not let our dd (9) play them. 

Quoting keeler_s:

I have a 3rd grader as well and I wouldn't be and don't allow my children to play those games

headingsouth13
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM
5 moms liked this

most of the 9y/o olds i know play these game their parents do their jobs though and raise them to know how to separate reality from make believe

blondie.mom
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Dh plays those games, but Ods (turning 7 next week) is not allowed, nor will he be allowed for a very very long time. There are plenty of other things he can do, and plenty of other games he can play.
Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Wow - that is very young, IMHO and I have an 8 1/2 year old.

I don't believe any of his friends play those games and my son would DEFINITELY not be allowed to - not that he has any interest!
KRIZZ25
we try to make excuses for ower kids bad behavior. when its ower fault for letting it happen in first place.we need to show them how to behave. dont make excuses ..make solutions ..
Yesterday at 9:54 PM
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:16 PM
I DON'T LET MY KID GO TO PPL FROM SCHOOLS PARTS.TO MANNY KIDS.. DON'T MAKE A BIG DEAL OF IT.
jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I don't think you are behind in the times. I too would not allow my kids to play those games at those ages. To each their own but definitely not for my kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)