Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I found out why my son isn't being invited to any birthday parties this winter

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is in third grade. He's nine.

In the last month there have been three kids from his very small school, all friends of his not only from school but his soccer team, who have had Xbox slumber parties for their birthdays to which he has not been invited.  I was confused and a little hurt for him. Until today when I found out why.

Apparently all the other kids play Xbox online together every evening.  Their favorite games are Black Ops and Call of Duty. My son has an Xbox but doesn't play online and is only allowed rated E games.  Therefore he's not invited to the parties.

I'm stunned. I guess I'm glad he wasn't invited because if I knew he wouldn't be allowed to go and if I didn't know I would be upset if I found out he had played those games.  But mostly I'm shocked that so many 9 year olds are playing those games online.  There are 19 boys in the third grade at his school and 14 of them are at the party happening tonight.  So my son is one of only five boys in the third grade not allowed to do this? It never occurred to me those games were the norm for third graders.

Wow. Am I that far behind the times?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Replies (121-121):
paytonleximomma
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I would never allow my kids to play ANY games like that until they where maybe in the 7th grade.  I dont agree with all the violence and such associated with this games.  With that being said, my inlaws let there 5th grader play those games all the time and I believe he has been playing them since 3rd maybe 4th grade, as well as hubby's nephews who are younger yet.  My 6 yr old DS and 11 yr old DD know they are not to be playing nor watching those games at all.  So we dont let the kids spend the night with my inlaws anymore because of this.  Because my 11 yr BIL (weird I know) will play those games all night long which leaves not much else for my kids to really do.  My hubby is in law enforcement and in the military and he HATES it, that is brother and nephews are so obsessed with these games at that age. We do have a Wii but dont have any violent games at all.  And my kids just dont ask for them either.  I guess what happened to good ole fashion slumber parties. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)