Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I found out why my son isn't being invited to any birthday parties this winter

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is in third grade. He's nine.

In the last month there have been three kids from his very small school, all friends of his not only from school but his soccer team, who have had Xbox slumber parties for their birthdays to which he has not been invited.  I was confused and a little hurt for him. Until today when I found out why.

Apparently all the other kids play Xbox online together every evening.  Their favorite games are Black Ops and Call of Duty. My son has an Xbox but doesn't play online and is only allowed rated E games.  Therefore he's not invited to the parties.

I'm stunned. I guess I'm glad he wasn't invited because if I knew he wouldn't be allowed to go and if I didn't know I would be upset if I found out he had played those games.  But mostly I'm shocked that so many 9 year olds are playing those games online.  There are 19 boys in the third grade at his school and 14 of them are at the party happening tonight.  So my son is one of only five boys in the third grade not allowed to do this? It never occurred to me those games were the norm for third graders.

Wow. Am I that far behind the times?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Replies (111-120):
aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Maybe on those nights your son and the other boys could get together and do something like a slumber party or pizza party and rotate houses.

lazyd
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I thought when my 10yo played those games he was too young, but i found out my nephew, who just turned 7, was playing these games and my nephew's dad isnt a "gamer" and doesnt play the games.  

Cicciabella
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM

There is no way in hell that I'd let a 9-year-old play COD or Black Ops. Those games are rated 18 for a reason... Mind you I've played COD myself and it is not a game for kids.... But to each their own. 

theresaphilly
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Quoting headingsouth13:

most of the 9y/o olds i know play these game their parents do their jobs though and raise them to know how to separate reality from make believe

tennisgal
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:13 PM

no momma, you know those games are not appropriate for his age. GOOD JOB! was he upset?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure i ever replied to this one. 

But I think it's great that he's not invited. No need to fit in if that's what it takes to do so. 

ivegotrhythm
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tennisgal:

no momma, you know those games are not appropriate for his age. GOOD JOB! was he upset?

As a matter of fact, he wasn't upset.  We did talk about it and I asked if he was hurt that he wasn't invited to these parties.  He said, "No, mom, because they're playing games I don't play."  Then I asked him if it bothered him that he's not allowed to play these games and he said , "no, I only want to play racing games anyway."  My son is obsessed with cars and racing.

These same kids are still his best friends at school, and don't make fun of him or anything for not playing these games.  They simply don't include him in parties where he wouldn't be allowed.  I actually find it respectfull that he wasn't invited now that I know WHY- I just wish someone would have let me know why instead of me hearing it through the grapevine. All I knew was that kids were having slumber parties and playing xbox and my son wasn't included and that hurt. Now that I know why I'm fine. Most importantly, my son is fine with it (because I only hurt for him so if he's fine, I'm fine).

lkane81
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I will not let my kids play any type of those games much less any games. I wont allow a game console in the house. Call me ols fashioned but if my dds want ro play games they can get a board game or go outside and make one up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LizMomTo4Girls
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM

My DD just turned 10 (she's in 5th grade)  this past Dec and is a Minecraft girl.  She played it at age 9 also.  Minecraft is a building game and if you play it with your friends on the xbox it's fun. I sit here and type and listen to them talk about griefing.. and building. It's a good game. :)

Liz
Got 4 or more kids and like to chit chat? Click here to join our NEW group! 

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Valentines tickers

Momma to:
a 19 yr old 
a 10 yr old 
4 yr old TWINS
and a 1 yr old!

sarahfire
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a little young to be playing those types of violent games....my son is 7 1/2 and loves Skylanders and Mariokart. He has not shown any interest in those first shooter type games.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN