Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

so my son gets off the bus and......

Posted by   + Show Post

"at the PBIS party, two people were making the popcorn and one of them was burnt and teachers said the students get the burnt one and the teachers get the other one"

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Replies (11-14):
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I was just discussing that with my cashier and the two guys behind me at Target today.  I bought 5 bags of 'helicopters' - you know the straw looking things with the propellers on top that your roll between your palms and they fly up?  Anyway...I bought 5 bags for $1.50 each (they held 8) and the cashier asked me if I was having a party.  I told him No, my kids were going to give those as Valentines to their classmates because we can't give candy anymore.

Of course the cashier (a man) and the two guys behind me started talking about how lame school is now because back in our day 'we didn't have allergies' and 'we played dodgeball...it made us tougher'.  Of course, I agree with them...to a point.  It is frustrating to have to be a little more creative for school parties these days but then again I have enough friends with kids that have severe allergies that I "get it".

Not to mention my daughter, who wears glasses, had a ball thrown at her head several times during a dodgeball game at summer camp last year that I had to go OFF on those kid counselors.  LOL

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Haha!  Funny story.  I remember loads of burnt popcorn, but that was before we had a microwave.  We had one of those little pans that y ou hold over the fire and the popcorn pops inside.  I'm pretty sure scorched is more to my liking!  When I give popcorn to my kids at school, I always buy those big bags that are already popped.  It's so much easier.  ( of course, we're a healthy school, so we aren't allowed to give the children ANY FOOD EVER AT ALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!)

Quoting ivf_blessed:

Scorched or burnt?  Cause if you love it burnt, I will send my husband over to fix it for you...he burns it everytime!  LOL

Reminds me...

I spent the night with a friend one time when I was a kid and her Dad asked each of us "Do you want ice cream or popcorn?"  I said "POPCORN!" (I ♥ popcorn) but my friend said, "TRUST ME, you want ice cream" so I went with the ice cream.  Her Dad purposely 'scorched' the popcorn everytime because that was how he liked it.

Quoting Rbrown72707:

I LOVE burnt popcorn!   I would have eaten it:)  What's PBIS?

mhaney03
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Positive Behavior Incentive something-or-another

Rbrown72707
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Hahaha!  We got to play Red Rover too!   I wonder how many kids had dislocated shoulders:)  I'm all for eating healthy and avoiding allergies, but I think it's unnatural to teach kids that treats are NEVER allowed.  What ever happened to everything in moderation?    Oh well.  BTW, we still do treats and parties on special days at my school.  We just don't give anything out on a regular basis.  (Though I've been known to sneak smarties to my students for an occasional win in Music Styles BIngo.  SHhhhhhh.... Don't tell!)

Quoting ivf_blessed:

I was just discussing that with my cashier and the two guys behind me at Target today.  I bought 5 bags of 'helicopters' - you know the straw looking things with the propellers on top that your roll between your palms and they fly up?  Anyway...I bought 5 bags for $1.50 each (they held 8) and the cashier asked me if I was having a party.  I told him No, my kids were going to give those as Valentines to their classmates because we can't give candy anymore.

Of course the cashier (a man) and the two guys behind me started talking about how lame school is now because back in our day 'we didn't have allergies' and 'we played dodgeball...it made us tougher'.  Of course, I agree with them...to a point.  It is frustrating to have to be a little more creative for school parties these days but then again I have enough friends with kids that have severe allergies that I "get it".

Not to mention my daughter, who wears glasses, had a ball thrown at her head several times during a dodgeball game at summer camp last year that I had to go OFF on those kid counselors.  LOL

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Haha!  Funny story.  I remember loads of burnt popcorn, but that was before we had a microwave.  We had one of those little pans that y ou hold over the fire and the popcorn pops inside.  I'm pretty sure scorched is more to my liking!  When I give popcorn to my kids at school, I always buy those big bags that are already popped.  It's so much easier.  ( of course, we're a healthy school, so we aren't allowed to give the children ANY FOOD EVER AT ALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!)

Quoting ivf_blessed:

Scorched or burnt?  Cause if you love it burnt, I will send my husband over to fix it for you...he burns it everytime!  LOL

Reminds me...

I spent the night with a friend one time when I was a kid and her Dad asked each of us "Do you want ice cream or popcorn?"  I said "POPCORN!" (I ♥ popcorn) but my friend said, "TRUST ME, you want ice cream" so I went with the ice cream.  Her Dad purposely 'scorched' the popcorn everytime because that was how he liked it.

Quoting Rbrown72707:

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Ha Ha!  I loved Red Rover - I just found out the other day that my 9 year old has no idea what that game is!

Thank goodness there are occassional treats in my kids classes too.  My son's teacher actually has done quite a few things but has to get written authorization from the parents each time for each thing (she actually sends the recipe home along with the permission slip).  For example, she had them make homemade apple sauce, homemade apple pie, & homemade apple juice in the fall and real gingerbread at Christmas.  She also has served them hot chocolate with marshmallows each time is snows.  I hear she will be doing stuff with strawberries come spring...wish I was in her class.

My daughter's teacher is a little more into the candy treats - smarties, starburst, tootsie rolls.  I never had to sign anything for that but then she goes to a different school - a fine arts magnet and it's smaller and a little more 'family like'.

It's really just us parents that aren't allowed to send in anything food related unless it is specifically requested of us.  Absolutely no candy or food items allowed for birthdays or holidays.  Such a bummer!

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Hahaha!  We got to play Red Rover too!   I wonder how many kids had dislocated shoulders:)  I'm all for eating healthy and avoiding allergies, but I think it's unnatural to teach kids that treats are NEVER allowed.  What ever happened to everything in moderation?    Oh well.  BTW, we still do treats and parties on special days at my school.  We just don't give anything out on a regular basis.  (Though I've been known to sneak smarties to my students for an occasional win in Music Styles BIngo.  SHhhhhhh.... Don't tell!)

Quoting ivf_blessed:

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting ivf_blessed:

Reminds me...

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN