Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Suggestions on punishment.....

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM
  • 8 Replies

Okay, I am livid.  My first grader got caught cheating on her spelling test today.  What really confuses me is she knew them when I tested her last night, but anyway looking for ideas on punishment so far I have-

no tv this weekend and next weekend (she only gets tv Friday through Sunday night to begin with) Plus like tonight when my son gets his TV time she must go read or play in her room, no playing in same room where tv is.

she writes an apology to her teacher

this weekend she writes the 10 words from the test today 20 times each

next three weeks she writes new spelling words 30 times each (she gets words on Monday and she will have through Thursday night to have written them each 30 times)

any other thought or suggestions?  I am so disappointed in her..........

Ok now that I have had time for a hot shower and relax a minute I think I am going to back off some.  She is a good kid and I truly think she was looking to make sure she was right-  doesn't excuse it I know but...  so I think her punishment will be-

no tv this weekend

she writes an apology to her teacher

this weekend she writes the 10 words from the test today 10 times each

next two  weeks she writes new spelling words 20 times each

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM

If this her first offense, I'd leave the punishment at that.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Since she got caught & she sounds like a good kid, I wouldn't be too hard on her.  If she truly knew all her words, she was probably really nervous & just wanted to make sure she didn't mess up.  Maybe the apology letter to her teacher...to help cement it in her head that it's wrong.

lorial58
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Take a breath.  It's okay.  Every kid is going to test that whole lying/cheating thing at least once.  I LOVE it that you're making the punishment fit the crime (writing out the spelling words) now one more thing.  If you REALLY want to drive the no cheating/lying thing home pretend you've lost something and you just KNOW that she is the one who has it because she can't be trusted not to lie.  Sorry, but I've always sort of lumped lying and cheating together.  

But really, this is very normal behavior for a child that age and part of the developmental process so don't lay awake nights thinking you have a sociopath on your hands or anything.

1234abcd4321
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM

first grade is pretty young. have you spoken with her about cheating before? i might leave it at a stern talking-to, personally. i think the apology is a great idea too. the rest of the punishment, meh - unless she's a repeat offender.

Seriously868
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM

update

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I *personally* still think that is too much. I would have my child write a letter to teacher and other student. And spelling words a few times. And a stern talking to about why cheating, or even *ckecking* your work off another student is wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy1221
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Did you ask her why she cheated if she already knew the answers? Maybe she has a crush on someone she cheated from...lol. I don't know..I would ask her why she did it..then decide on the punishment....just sayin..

corrinacs
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I like what you have.  Not only would you want her to write an apology, you should go in with her and have her apologize IN PERSON.  I think that takes a hell of a lot more guts.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)